WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

New compressor tank

Posts

New compressor tank

#1

New compressor tank

Tom dunlap

After 35+ years of faithful service the tank on my Campbell Hausfe

Compressor rusted through

Now I'm at a crossroad

The 1 hp motor and compressor are still ready to work. When I did a quick price check for a new tank I found that they bust the price point compared to a whole new compressor

Grrrr...I don't like tossing out servicable goods

A though arced through my head...I'll research more...take a couple of ten gallon LP tanks, put the valves down so that water drainage is easy and plumb into them.

Or...does anyone have a source for air tanks?

I'm going to spend time looking too

Thanks

Re: New compressor tank

#2

NO!!

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Propane tanks are not pressure rated. Do NOT go there.

Check Harbor Freight. They've got bare tanks at reasonable prices.

Re: New compressor tank

#3

Re: New compressor tank

Barry Irby

My friend's father was VERY frugal. Air tank rusted through. He welded it. Lasted many more years. It was outside in a shed, so I doubt there was much danger.

Re: New compressor tank

#4

Re: NO!!

Bruce, a MN Galoot

Northern tools has tanks.

Re: New compressor tank

#5

Re: New compressor tank

Don Stephan

Like you I hate to throw things away, but the motor and compressor are 35+ years old and may have a lot of use i.e. wear. Not sure how much use a spare tank would have if the motor and/or compressor gave up the ghost in the next few years.

Re: New compressor tank

#6

Except they are pressure rated.... *LINK*

John in NM

Propane is delivered to your appliances at very low pressure - less than 1 psi. But the tank itself is usually rated to well over 200 psi.

That does not mean I think they should be used as air tanks - they shouldn't. But the fact is that they can take the pressure.


https://gashosesandregulators.com/propaneregulatorfacts.php

Re: New compressor tank

#7

Aging

Tom dunlap

Don

That's something I thought of right away. My needs for air aren't what they were when I had my tree company. While I've been tanknshopping I've looked at the prices for compressors too. Might be time to downsize and find a use for the 1hp compressor motor

No welding of course

I'm going to look at CL and Offer Up to see if there might a used tanknwith a bad compressor

But then...how do I know the tank is ok?

I just remembered! My brother gave me an endoscope for Christmas. Camera and LED on a long flexible shaft and a simple USB connection. It'll be time

To play proctologist on my air compressor tank! I'll stop now hehehhee

Re: New compressor tank

#8

Re: Aging

John K Jordan

If you live near East TN stop by and I'll give you a spare compressor. 30gal, horizontal tank, 110v, diaphragm compressor, not a high-end compressor, worked fine the last time I tried it 5 years ago. I've been trying to give it away but everyone I know has one.

Re: New compressor tank

#9

Re: Aging

Tom dunlap

Thanks for the offer

Home for now is Minneapolis. I'll be moving soon. If my travels take me near you I'll let you know

Re: New compressor tank

#10

Re: Except

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

I have three 20lb. propane cylinders and not one of them carries a pressure rating, let alone a certification as my all compressors' tanks do.

Re: New compressor tank

#11

Re: Aging

Keith Newton

Same offer if you are passing through LR. Tom, A year or two ago I forgot to unplug my Rollair before going off for the weekend. One of the hoses burst, and it ran until it could run no more. I ended up ordering a new pump which wasn't exactly the same, then spent more time re-running the plumbing than just buying a whole new compressor would have cost when I figured the value of my time into the equation.

I've since bought a 1hp Rollair, which I can lift and take onto a job. Its pretty good, but later another sub came onto a job that I was on with a 1/2hp Senco. It was so quiet, light, and cheap that I bought one of those also.

The one I would give you, is about a 30 gallon oilless, that I would not want to work in the same block with because of the noise. Advice, don't buy one that you are going to hate forever after.

If you keep thin CA glue around the shop. Drill a little larger hole in your leak, then chuck a stick of softwood in a drill, and touch it to a running belt sander while spinning to make a long tapered plug. Insert it into the hole, and clip it off about 1/8 out. Soak with thin CA. After trying a bunch of other methods, I did a temporary repair like this that lasted about 15 years. The cost $0, so you get to keep what you have a while longer, then can spend you money buying another one that is handy in its very portability if you need to take one out to another location.

Re: New compressor tank

#12

And that is why...

John in NM

They should not be used for other applications.

That does not change the fact that they routinely hold 200-300 psi.

Re: New compressor tank

#13

Re: And that is why...

John K Jordan

>>>They should not be used for other applications.

They make great Hank Drums. I made one for a friend a couple of years ago.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-a-Hank-Drum/

https://hackaday.com/2013/03/12/making-a-propane-tank-hank-drum/

JKJ

Re: New compressor tank

#14

Re: Aging

Jerry Nicholson

Don't do like my FIL did. When his tank developed a leak, he ran a self tapping screw into the hole. That, of course, increased the stress around the hole. Fortunately he wasn't close by when the tank blew itself inside out.

Jerry

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.