WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Ceiling air cleaner

Posts

Ceiling air cleaner

#1

Ceiling air cleaner

Ron Pemberton

My JDS ceiling air cleaner bit the dust. It was about 10 years old. Guess it got tired. I'm in the market for a new one. What are your ideas of an efficient dependable one. Thanks.

Re: Ceiling air cleaner

#2

Re: Ceiling air cleaner

Barry Irby

I have the Jet version someone gave me used. It's working well. Other than that I can not help. I also have a homemade version made out of a furnace blower.

OTOH, it's a pretty simple device, basically a squirrel cage fan in a box with some controls. When my homemade version died, it was the motor. I was going to rebuild it around a different blower when I realized I could just swap out the motor, and I did. Might be easy enough to fix yours. If its the controls and yours croaked, you could wire around them and install a simple switch or put it on the circuit with the lights.

Re: Ceiling air cleaner

#3

Re: Ceiling air cleaner

Kevin French

I built one on that idea. I went to HD and found a workable size Furnace filter, and built the box to the size of the filters. I doubled the furnace Filters back to back, then took an old screen window frame cut that down to the size of the filters and put a ShopVac bag in that frame using the cord like a screen. The dust goes thru the 2 filters, then the ShopVac bag with the cleaned air thru the squirrel cage blower. Works great.

Re: Ceiling air cleaner

#4

Replacement motor

Hoa in Alameda

I would first check with JDS for availability/cost of a replacement motor.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.