WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

WC Weekend Accomplishments....

Posts

WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#1

WC Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis E Peacock

19 Feb 2018

Greetings,

It's been a grey and dreary weekend with rain (not complaining about the rain becase we really need the rain) and I took that chance to work with the LOML on an upholstery project that she's been putting off. As of last night, we finished up 3 boat seats for a friend of mine's bass boat. This was our first shot at boat upholstery and the seats came out ok but not factory perfect. My buddy was happy with his new seats and he even helped us a bit on putting on the new covers. Other than that, The LOML and I sat and watched some of the recorded olympics and spent some time helping the daughter and son-in-law refine a set of house plans that I helped them put together in design and function. That's all I did this weekend.

I've given great consideration on retiring the "Weekend Accomplishments". Why? I started posting many years ago, on Monday to see what everybody actually "did" over the weekend. I still do woodworking but not as much as I used to. I'm almost 60 years old now and it's harder for me to work my day job, with all the hours it takes, and keep focus on family and friends when I'm not working the day job. I'm not sure I'm ready to make this decision final, so I'll just leave it here for now.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Dennis Peacock

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#2

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

Mark Nowicki

It always saddens me when your "Weekend Accomplishments" goes without a single answer so every time I see you post I try think of something.

Personally, come Monday I have a hard remembering what I did over the weekend. My wife retired this December after 42 years in the airline industry. She never had weekends off, in the beginning because of low seniority and in the end because of her high one.

We did have a beautiful day on Sunday so I took a walk and, according to the app I walked for 3 hrs and 2 minutes and took 22876 steps.

I have not watches a single minute of the Olympics, my youngest son who is a big fan, is spending a week in Spain.

Normally he would bring me up to date so I have no idea what is going on.

I have just started the sixth decade of my life and I try to plan and look forward, instead of back.

Just like you I am doing a lot less woodworking mostly due to lack of interest. As long as I am physically able I would rather take a walk, a bike ride or a trip instead of breathing sawdust.

All the best , regardless what you decide.

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#3

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

David Yoho

Dennis, I just realized it's been almost 5 years (July 2013) since I retired. Up to that time I was up to my ears in woodworking work for customers. These days not so much. I do small jobs now and then like this past weekend. A neighbor asked me to finish a replacement cabinet door he had made at a local shop. I've been putting the final touches on that before taking it over to mount.

I find myself busy with updating things at our little river cottage now. When Spring rolls in things will get busier between keeping the yards mowed and trimmed and the projects I need to attend to here at home. It's nice to stay busy and work with my hands at other things now.

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#4

Road trip

AZ in Colorado Springs

Went to Alamagordo NM to visit my son. My grandson turned eight on Sunday, so we also had a nice birthday celebration. I've been making the construction vehicle series from Wood magazine and added a couple more to his fleet of trucks.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.