WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

something completely different

Posts

something completely different

#1

something completely different

Thomas S Stockton

Hi All

Just rolled this outtta the shop Friday, really glad to have the space back. It was a present for my wife or as she calls it " an anniversary, birthday, Christmas and retirement gift for the next couple of years" Really fun to make, the woodworking was pretty straight forward the most stressful parts were figuring out what axle to use and tire sizes.

Thanks for looking

Tom




Re: something completely different

#2

Tell me more...

Mark Nowicki

.. please.

Now that I have retired from the window business I want to salvage the frame and axle from my

5 x 10 trailer and make one for my sons for this summer.

Plans, time etc..

Thanks.

Re: something completely different

#3

Re:  Tell me more...

Thomas S Stockton

Hi Mark

I didn't use plans although there a fair amount of them out there. I'm a pretty visual person so I found some shape I liked and drew them full size.

The body on mine is 4' x 8' the frame is shorter because the front and back round in but overall the frame is 12'

I have no idea how much time I spent, I probably spent more time sitting and pondering then fabrication. although it didn't take long to make the basic body

I made my frame since I couldn't find one that would work without a lot of modification or cost. The frame was about 40% of the cost. but having a frame to start with would have been great

I used anodized aluminum for the skin since I got a real good deal on it.

my main source of inspiration and info was www.tnttt.com be warned though it's one of those black holes of a web site that just kinda draws you in.

Tom

Re: something completely different

#4

Re:  Tell me more...

Mark Nowicki

Thanks Tom,

I have the frame, the floor, lights and wiring.

Just have to find the time.

Any idea of the finished weight?

Re: something completely different

#5

Re:  Tell me more...

Thomas S Stockton

Mark

I'm thinking around 650lb. want to take it to a scale at some point though.

Tom

Re: something completely different

#6

Re:  Tell me more... *LINK*

Bruce, a MN Galoot

My wife and I visited the shop where these are made, the best teardrop I’ve seen. You might get some good ideas there.


Vistabule teardrop campers

Re: something completely different

#7

Re:  Tell me more...

Thomas S Stockton

Bruce

those are some really nice trailers. I really like what they did with the cabin, so many of them are filled with shelves and cabinets I much prefer the more open look. The front of mine is angled so it will work as a kinda bench back so you can hang out and read. one of the dilemma I faced was wether to add a lot of features or make it simple, I choose simple knowing that I could change it up at a later date

Tom

Re: something completely different

#8

Re: something completely different

Dick Coers

I like the looks of those, but with loosing more and more flexibility with age, not sure getting dressed will be fun. Wife is even worse with bad knees and a hip problem. We'll keep camping at Holiday Inn Express. Nice work!

Re: something completely different

#9

Re: something completely different

T.M. Stock

Very nice - simple and functional. Looks like a nice way to do some low-impact car camping.

A woodworking option versus aluminum:

https://www.clcboats.com/teardrop

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.