WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Performax 16/32 Sander question

Posts

Performax 16/32 Sander question

#1

Performax 16/32 Sander question

Barry Irby

I have a Performax 16/32 sander. Recently I sanded a oak top 2' x 5' with it. I have home made in-feed and out feed tables for it. I suspect the pressure rollers for it are too loose. I ended up with some very faint marks left by the drum, almost like snipe but at random intervals. My habit is to put pressure down on the piece with my hands as it passes through. Perhaps these marks are left when I move my hands, as if the piece rises slightly for an instant. I remember trying to adjust the rollers several years ago, but think I gave up on getting them just right. I also think these marks have sanded out of other pieces because I finish up with a ROS, but the oak is hard enough that the ROS did not get it all.

I read the manual, but it basically says they have to be properly adjusted. Also went to the Jet site and Youtube looking for a set up video but did not find anything useful. Do the rollers in yours press down firmly? Do you have anyway to convey how firmly? Any suggestion?

Re: Performax 16/32 Sander question

#2

Re: Performax 16/32 Sander question

Don Orr

I've never adjusted mine but have had similar problems. I try to, as you do, keep firm downward pressure on the work piece as well as forward pressure to keep it moving at the feed rate. If it does not go through at the set feed rate the drive belt can slip which results in a "snipe" in the middle of the board where the drum is in contact with the wood a little longer, especially if you are trying to take more of a bite than the machine likes. Another very light pass or 2, with constant guidance, usually takes care of it. It would be nice if it just did what it is supposed to do on its own but it definitely needs some help. I mostly use mine for cleaning up old, oxidized, reclaimed stuff-rarely for finish work.

Re: Performax 16/32 Sander question

#3

for shorter pieces

John K Jordan

I have the 22-44. I haven't seen the problem you mentioned but maybe it's because I usually sand fairly short pieces. I never push down on the wood on the infeed side, I just let it feed.

When a short piece like a small diameter bowl blank (maybe 7" long) is about to exit the sander the front can be raised a bit the front off the belt causing "snipe" at the rear. I prevent this by holding down the front of each blank as it exits - very little pressure, just one finger is enough. If I sanded longer boards by myself I would use properly aligned infeed/outfeed support.

If the feed rate is too slow because of trying to take off too much at once I quickly back off the crank then run the wood through again taking lighter passes.

JKJ

Re: Performax 16/32 Sander question

#4

same here

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I have never seen this problem. I never push down, not do I see that it would be a good idea. The abrasive drum provides plenty of downward force. If long I hold the end up upon exiting. I always feed at the fastest rate it will travel.

Re: Performax 16/32 Sander question

#5

Re: same here

Barry Irby

This the only time I have seen this happen. Some how the weigh and size of this piece of oak was near my limit and it may have been causing the problem.

I recently put a new conveyor belt on the machine. Got it from Jet. I had been fighting with a belt from WoodCraft and was very pleased the Jet belt went right on and tracked properly. I suspect it's a tad too loose and it slipped on this big heavy piece. It has not given me trouble on smaller lighter pieces. Now that I think of it, it has been sitting for a month or more so I wonder if the belt relaxed a bit? I take extremely light passes and try to run the conveyor at full speed.

This is an older machine and does not have some of the fancy new features like the Inteli-sand or the feature that tips the bed into and out of parallel with the drum.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.