WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

miter saw

Posts

miter saw

#1

miter saw

JohnV

I looking at miter saws . I recently down sized and sold my stationary flat work equipment. I'm looking at sliding miter saws. What is the advantage of compound miter saw vs just a miter saw? I don't do much cabinet work or finish carpentry.

Looking for the collective wisdom of WC

Re: miter saw

#2

Re: miter saw

Barry Irby

I used to have a 10" miter saw. I was a home builder and did some of the trim work. Cut crown molding by turning it upside down in the saw. The 10" blade limited the size of the trim I could install easily. That saw got stolen and I replaced it with a 10" compound miter saw. I rarely do trim anymore so the blade size doesn't limit me and I believe the 10" blade is more stable than a 12" one and cuts smoother. I MIGHT use it to cut segments for segmented turning and it will fit in the same niche in my shop that the old saw lived in. A Sliding saw would not. I also have a Radial Arm Saw I rely on for wider cuts.

Probably stuck in my ways, but I like my 10" compound miter saw. But I have multiple other pieces of equipment.

Also consider the footprint. A sliding saw takes up a lot of space. There is a swinging version that takes up less, but that one looked to me like something that would get out of adjustment quickly. No experience, just say'n.

Re: miter saw

#3

Re: miter saw

John K Jordan

JohnV,

Rather than a sliding saw I bought a Bosch glider that uses pivots instead of slides. I'm quite happy with it, built my shop with it, and use it now mostly use it to break down longer things before they go to the bandsaw or table saw (with slider). One nice thing about this saw in a shop is it doesn't need extra space in the back. The stock dust collection (like most saws like this) is pitiful.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/miter-saws-gcm12sd-33969-p/

I put this on a portable stand so I can wheel it out of the shop when I put up a new building on the farm, etc. I have only used the compound angle feature a couple of times but when needed it is great. I also have a radial arm saw but with this I don't use it any more - it may be available to someone who wants to come after it.

JKJ

Re: miter saw

#4

Advantage of a compound miter saw

Mike Farinella

it allows you to cut angles in two axes - like crown molding.

Re: miter saw

#5

Re: miter saw

Jim Dillon

JohnV, as others have alluded to, the SCMS surprisingly takes up a lot of space, especially to the rear. I have had a Makita SCMS for 20 years and it has been useful. The extra capacity of the SCMS has occasionally been helpful. The suggestion by John looks like a nice space-saving compromise - although it is a 12-inch blade. If your downsizing limits your available space, then a normal gliding SCMS may be more trouble than it is worth. FWIW, a regular miter saw might fit your needs better and there are a lot of reliable brands out there. Dust collection on my SCMS is nonexistent. Hope this helps. Jim

Re: miter saw

#6

Re: miter saw

William Duffield

The Festool Kapex SCMS wastes even less valuable shop real estate behind the fence than the Bosch GCM12SD.

Re: miter saw

#7

Re: miter saw

John K Jordan

Festool?! I wish. If you are santa I want one for Christmas. I have one Festool, a router, and it is excellent.

But yikes, compared to the cost of the Bosch Glide I wonder how many $ the Festool SCMS costs per inch of rear space saved. :)

Re: miter saw

#8

Re: miter saw

Ray Newman

BOSCH also has a 10" Glide Saw -- CM10GD.

www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/miter-saws-cm10gd-48431-p/

Re: miter saw

#9

Re: Advantage of a compound miter saw

John McGaw

I've cut a bit of crown and have yet to find a compound saw necessary. Don't forget that people were cutting such things before power saws existed -- you just stand the molding up.

Re: miter saw

#10

Re: miter saw

Joseph Mulherin

I bought the one from Harbor Freight a few months ago and am getting the need to r4einstall my eaves boards which were ripped off hen the palm tree crashed down last November. Just would like to know the proper angle of the slope cut.....25 deg. or 30 deg.?

Re: miter saw

#11

Re: miter saw

William Duffield

You're not looking at it right. :) You have to measure it in square feet, since the fence might be set up permanently along the whole wall of the shop. But, of course, there is always the opportunity to set up cabinets or shelves behind and above the fence, and beneath the table all the way back to the wall.

I do not own one. My old DeWalt RAS does what I need.

Re: miter saw

#12

Clint Searl

Re: miter saw

Clint Searl

I had a Makita 10" SCMS, 12" Hitachi SCMS w/Laser, and a Delta 10" RAS. The all-round most used and useful was the Makita, which was more portable than the Hitachi.

Re: miter saw

#13

Re: miter saw

T.M. Stock

I've cut a fair bit of crown, and it can all be done with a mitre box and a back saw...but it is much faster to do it with a 12" compound miter for small and moderate work and a 10" or 12" slider for the wider stuff. A Collins coping foot on a good barrel-grip jig saw is your buddy, as is medium CA and a good accelerator (GluBoost rocks) on paint-grade work. The newer sliders/gliders are very stiff and address the issues seen in the first generation of Makita LS sliders, but they do take up a lot more room than a 12" compound. If space is an issue, and you are not working crown stock over 7", fixed compound miter saws are likely the best compromise. For wider crown stock as used for large rooms, or if working a complex roof framing job, the bigger sliders make things easier.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.