OT. CAD workstation recommendation
Mark Hennebury
Can anyone recommend a good reliable entry level workstation for 3d modeling.
Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge
OT. CAD workstation recommendation
Mark Hennebury
Can anyone recommend a good reliable entry level workstation for 3d modeling.
what software?
John K Jordan
Mark,
When I was in the 3D modeling field before I retired (modeling, animation, video) I would always recommend this: decide what software you are want to use then buy the hardware that works best with the software.
In my "day" it was 3D Studio Max running in dual-processor Pentium machines connected by ethernet into render farms. I think I had 8 or 10 processors in my basement studio. These days, I don't know what is best. But that would still be the first thing to decide - what software. These days life in 3D is MUCH simpler with widespread compatibility in processor, OS, and graphics hardware that was only a dream in the '80 and '90s. The workstation requirements might be different if you planned on using Sketchup or some high end software.
Another decision is how much money you have to spend. Are your long-term intentions hobby or professional? At one time, each generation of workstation cost me about $8 grand. These days hardware is so cheap and so powerful for the cost it is almost unbelievable.
BTW, in case you are interested: I did scientific and technical modeling and graphics for the Oak Ridge National Lab, everything from architectural to optics to medical procedures to space technology. For years I was also a primary tech support person for Audodesk/Kinetix/etc on their internet forum, and a hard-core beta tester in my spare time. This was my basement studio:

A taste of a project or two:


Even a bit of woodturning design!

I loved the work but these days all I do is a bit of Sketchup.
JKJ
Re: what software?
Mark Hennebury
Hi John, thanks for the input, Wow that's quite set you had.
I have been doing a bunch of Solidworks mechanical design for the past 14 years, I am looking for another computer that will handle some small assemblies with multiple axis of movement, so nothing super complicated. The software is just a couple of years old so not the latest. I would like to see if anyone has a brand name that they can say is reliable, every time i start looking on the internet, whatever you look at, there are loads of people who say every brand sucks and the service sucks and not to buy them. It would just be nice to hear someone say i have been using brand x for several years and it works fine with no problems.
And i am looking for entry level price $2000 for complete system, i know there are Graphics cards that cost well in excess of $10,000, i am not in that market.
thanks
Re: what software?
John K Jordan
I'll try to ask around. I keep in touch with a few that are still in the field.
I run into the same issues with every computer to buy - who to believe?
JKJ
Re: OT. CAD workstation recommendation *LINK*
Keith Newton
Mark, I don't have any CNC tools or use my computer for design, however I have friends that I can get to help whenever I have a need. If you aren't familiar with woodweb, which is a professional site, here is a link to their CNC forum. This is a pretty active site, and I'm sure you'll get an answer from someone who's job is on this subject.
They always encourage new people to use their search in the upper right corner of the page, before asking a "redundant for them" question.
I hope this helps.
http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/cnc.pl
Re: OT. CAD workstation recommendation
Mark Hennebury
Hi Keith,
thanks. Years ago I used to sell machines on their machinery exchange, but i haven't been on woodweb for a few years,
I will check them out, thanks.