WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Router recommendation

Posts

Router recommendation

#1

Router recommendation

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

What mid sized (two handled) router has the most precise depth adjuster? About half my routing needs involve routing to a precise depth where I need to be able to adjust the depth of cut in +/- tiny increments to get it just right. My old Porter Cable is poor for this task. An older model DeWalt with rack and pinion adjustment is good but it is fiddly locking the adjustment without moving it. What is best?

Re: Router recommendation

#2

Re: Router recommendation *LINK*

Dick Coers

I use a Dewalt 625. I love the handle design. For micro adjustment, I added a router raizer on one in my router table for incredibly nice micro adjustment. It will also work when using it handheld, but you do loose the quick adjustment.


https://www.amazon.com/Router-Raizer-RZ100-Precise-Adjustment/dp/B00005JRJR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518726224&sr=8-1&keywords=router+raizer&dpID=51co%252Bq%252Bg1TL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Re: Router recommendation

#3

Dewalt 621

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

is my go-to machine for free-hand work. I have a Bosch 1618EVS D handle that's great for fixed-depth work, but the Dewalt's plunge depth adjustment is much better and easier to use.

Re: Router recommendation

#4

Second that

Jerry Nicholson

I have been using a DW621 for years. It needs a bigger base and I bought a Pat Warner base that was just right. I seem to recall that Pat is RIP and I don't know if his great bases are available anymore or not. Smoothest plunge I have ever tried. I like it so much that I bought another in case mine fails and they aren't available anymore. That one is just sitting in its box, unused. I have found the integral dust removal system to be of somewhat limited value.

Jerry

Re: Router recommendation

#5

Bases

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Grap some 1/4" plexi scrap from a local fabricator and make all the bases you need. I've made a self-centering base, a fractionating base, and a track base all for pennies. I save the original phenolic base plate as the template.

Re: Router recommendation

#6

Re: Router recommendation

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

Bill, I agree with the recommendation of the DeWalt 621. I have the Elu version of this, the Elu MOF 97. This can be seen in the middle, below, to show its size relative to the full size Elu 177e and the baby Elu MOF 96 ...


The DeWalt 621 is a 1/2" and 1/4" model (my Elu MOF97 is only 1/4"). It has excellent dust control and, importantly for your needs, a micro depth adjuster as well as a coarse depth stop.

Here are the parts ...


I have been using the two larger routers for over 20 years. They are balanced and powerful. If I was looking for a new router, I'd go for the DW 621 as well. Far better value than the equivalent Festool.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Router recommendation

#7

For more than 30 years

Bruce, a MN Galoot

the only router I had was a Makita 3612br, plunger 15 amp. I have no idea how you’ve made it this far without a plunge router. I only recently treated myself to a trim router, the Dewalt, and it’s not as easy to handle as the Makita.

Re: Router recommendation

#8

Re: Bases

Walt

Personal choice I use 3/8 plexi for making my own bases. I make my bases to fit P-C style bushings and find 1/4" a bit thin for my tastes. 3/8" gives me plenty of 'meat' to work with. 1/4" is great if I don't need the 'stepped' bit opening. 3/8" does decrease max bit depth if that's an issue.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.