WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Engineering the kitchen table

Posts

Engineering the kitchen table

#1

Engineering the kitchen table

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.



This first picture shows the result. With great relief it went together perfectly. It is held together with 8 mortise and tenons (M&T's). These widely spaced M&T's should provide adequate strength to the post. After all it is a table not a step stool.




I forgot to take these pictures of the actual table so they are taken of the development model. The base is made from two legs with 4 mortises. Originally I planed on an alignment spline for the 3 post pieces which would have been a bad idea. It became clear that all 8 M&T's had to be in perfect alignment for assembly to go together tightly, or to go together at all! Instead I used the top "arms" dry fit to the top tenons to ensure alignment of the post pieces as their glue dried.



Gluing and clamping became interesting. I used epoxy, with great reluctance, for the M&T's so that I had adequate time to make the assembly. The vertical joints on the post are with Titebond. The challenge was to get the joints together without pulling the post out of alignment. At this point the top arms are dry fit to their corresponding tenons. The top arms were glued on after the glue in this assembly dried.

This table is one of the few things I have made in the past few years for myself. It has been a joy to build and I am quite satisfied with the result so far. Now if I can get a round top made.......I will have questions on attachment later.

Re: Engineering the kitchen table

#2

The more I see of this project the more I love it.

Chuck Nickerson

And I've liked it from the beginning. Bill, the effort you put into posting in-process shots is going to shame me into doing the same... just as soon as my camera is fixed.

Re: Engineering the kitchen table

#3

correction

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

In the table feet there are to mortises that are "weaker" (for want of a better description) than the other two. The wide (or double) vertical post piece was attached to these mortises, bridging over the joint in the feet. The two narrow vertical pieces go in the "stronger" mortises. What I actually did is opposite of the orientation shown in the picture of the development model. I think how I arranged these pieces is the strongest of the possible orientations.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.