WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT- WiFi Camera?

Posts

OT- WiFi Camera?

#1

OT- WiFi Camera?

Tom Norton

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the above. Would like to monitor some equipment while we are away from home.

Thanks!

Re: OT- WiFi Camera?

#2

Re: OT- WiFi Camera?

John K Jordan

I use a security system with multiple cameras I can view even from a hotel room in Italy. It connects directly to ethernet but not wifi.

I'm a little wary of wifi cameras since reports that some were being hacked remotely so the hacker could watch what was going on. If that happened, the hacker could watch and find out no one was in the area for days.

JKJ

Re: OT- WiFi Camera?

#3

Re: OT- WiFi Camera?

Hoa Dinh in Alameda

For anything, a wired system is much better than a wireless one. For security, the difference is even more pronounced.

Having said that, for a year and a half now, I have very good result with SkyBell HD WiFi Video Doorbell (make sure it's the "HD" version). I use the SkyBell for its audio capability (you can talk to the person at the door), in addition to my wired cameras.

I also have a WiFi Closeli camera. It loses WiFi connection much more often than the SkyBell.

With the SkyBell (vs Closeli and Ring), there's no monthly service charge you have to pay.

I know, it's not exactly what you're asking. But if I were to install a WiFi camera in my garage, I'd choose the SkyBell (I currently have a wired system).

Re: OT- WiFi Camera?

#4

Re: OT- WiFi Camera?

Tom Norton

Maybe if I explain what I would like to accomplish it might be helpful. My thought was to have the ability to "look" and check on a sump pump via the Internet while we are traveling.

So I guess I am not sure what I need.

Re: OT- WiFi Camera?

#5

Re: OT- WiFi Camera?

John McGaw

I'm not clear how looking at the sump pump will really improve or protect. To me it sound like what you need is first, a battery-backup emergency sump pump and second, a water-level alarm to notify in case neither pump is doing its job.

Re: OT- WiFi Camera?

#6

Re: OT- WiFi Camera?

Bill Howatt

You need a responsible neighbour looking after your place when you are away - one who knows about sump pumps or at least can call in a maintenance company. Check your house insurance requirements for any need of house-checking if you are a longer trip.

Apart from the internet/webcam, you will also probably need what is called a static-IP address. Virtually all home networking is done with dynamic IP addresses which means they can change. So if you start out with a working system you can monitor the IP address could change stopping you from connecting to your camera.

Bill

Re: OT- WiFi Camera?

#7

Re: OT- WiFi Camera?

Hoa Dinh in Alameda

"Apart from the internet/webcam, you will also probably need what is called a static-IP address. Virtually all home networking is done with dynamic IP addresses which means they can change. So if you start out with a working system you can monitor the IP address could change stopping you from connecting to your camera."

At least in the cases of Ring, Closeli, Q-see, and SkyBell, your cameras are connected to a server (with static IP address), and your mobile device communicates with the cameras via that server.

Having a static IP address is better, but not necessary.

My wired security system is connected to Q-see, and my wireless video door bell is connected to SkyBell. I can monitor the cameras and download video clip to a mobile device any time. Q-see and SkyBell do not charge subscription fee.

Re: OT- WiFi Camera?

#8

Re: OT- WiFi Camera?

Dave Bair

I've seen images using a computer's camera tasked with watching a store. And some smart TVs were reported as monitoring the viewing audience. I'm not sure of the details, I got out of IT before the internet of things.

Re: OT- WiFi Camera?

#9

An old Cell Phone  *LINK*

Dustmaker Mike

Use an old cell phone. Save some cash and recycle


Spy

Re: OT- WiFi Camera?

#10

Thanks for the clarification


Re: OT- WiFi Camera?

#11

Re: OT- WiFi Camera?

Ed Wozniak-Buffalo, NY

I have a wireless camera made by Foscam that I bought from Best Buy for around $80 several years ago. There are similar units that are half the price available on the web. Foscam has a free service that allows you to remotely monitor the camera even if your home IP address changes. It has worked fine for me. It was a little tricky to get it all working. I had to make some settings in my wireless router to let it know to forward incoming messages that are intended for the router to go to the router. My setup works best when connecting to the camera with a computer. It also can be used with a cell phone but the controls that allow the camera to move do not work as nicely with the cell phone. Even if you want the camera to always point in the same direction, if you and up with one that can move you will still want to be able to control it because during power outages or resets a moveable camera may not default to the position you want.

Re: OT- WiFi Camera?

#12

Re: OT- WiFi Camera?

Tony - Memphis

I just bought a Wansview Q3 IP camera from Amazon. My application is to monitor long 3D prints. Some take 5 hours or longer. I can monitor the printer from my phone/laptop to make sure I'm not printing a birds nest! I had good luck with the Wansview. I got it on a lightning deal for $31. Easy to install and it works very well. It is the 720p model. No issues. And I was very surprised the company followed up with an email to make sure the product was satisfactory. I have not tried to set it up for outside of my network monitoring yet.

This camera can see in the dark, zoom/pan/tilt, etc. Powered by a small wall wart. Setup and operation of software on phone (Android in my case) and laptop was easy. It comes with a small clamp so the camera can be attached to something. I have mine clamped to a shelf in the shop. That reminds me, I need to get a bag or something to keep the dust off it when I'm not using it. Also need to look into the out of network access. Hmm, well, I guess I already have it! I just loaded the app and there was my shop in real time! I'll be darn, i didn't know that worked! Good to know. ha, that's pretty cool. But, now I'm daydreaming about the project sitting on my bench!

Tony

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.