WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Two fundamental woodworking principles revealed

Posts

Two fundamental woodworking principles revealed

#1

Two fundamental woodworking principles revealed

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.


You can't have too many clamps. People visiting my shop are amazed at how many clamps I have. But at times they all get used.

Which leads to the second principle- no matter how much lumber you have the perfect board is not to be found. I needed 4 short rails for the panel frames for son in law's chest of drawers. The stiles are rift cut cherry. When I got into the pieces I presumed would be rails I encountered problems, like the nail I hit resawing the thick piece that was to make two of them, and other defects.



I have never attempted this solution before but it looked like it would work. From resawing the stiles I had several thin cut-offs with grain that obviously would match the rails. So I face glued pieces to get rails thick enough. Two rails-to-be are show in the picture. Only the clear rift grain on the bottoms of these two piece will show in the finished piece.

Re: Two fundamental woodworking principles revealed

#2

Re: Two fundamental woodworking principles reveale

Kevin French

And you compound your clamp problem if you loan your clamps to the boss.

I build Lamps and the same is true with parts as it is with wood. I have 2 lamps in the shop that I need parts for even though I try to anticipate what I needed and order extras

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.