WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Bar stool for Derek Cohen

Posts

Re: Bar stool for Derek Cohen

#2

Re: Bar stool for Derek Cohen

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

Thanks Barry! I really like that one (actually prefer it!) ...


But it is very (!) similar to the one I made, with the exception that mine has three turned legs .... it's become a shop stool now.

The one I made ...


My wife wants something more modern ... by which she means not-Windsor looking. I said I was going back to my first choice, which was inspired by Wharton Escherick. That will also give me freedom to carve the seats according to grain (shades of Nakashima and Krenov).

Here is an example of Escherick ...


Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Bar stool for Derek Cohen

#3

Re: Bar stool for Derek Cohen

Barry Irby

Had you already posted that picture? I did not review your post, but maybe that's why it looked like something that would interest you.

I like that stool except my "Engineering Brain" wants to see rungs bracing those back legs.

The back Escheric stool looks more comfortable that the closer one. I like the rolled down edges, makes it look like it would not cut into your legs. The back one appears dished out a bit and that would fit your butt better.

There is a craft brewery about a 100 feet from my office. (Is that a thing in OZ? Craft Beer?) We wander over occasionally. They have about a hundred steel bar stools with hard slick flat tops. Horrible to sit on. I keep wondering why they would put such uncomfortable seating. OTOH they are tripling the size of the place and opening a second location. But I don't think better seating would put them out of business.

Re: Bar stool for Derek Cohen

#4

Re: Bar stool for Derek Cohen

Keith Newton

Hey Barry, After clicking your link, that stool now is popping up in ads on other sites for the low low price of just $960 plus $40 for shipping. I'm wondering if I bought a set of six,if I would get any discount, and If I wanted the other three missing stretchers what would they cost?

Re: Bar stool for Derek Cohen

#5

I don't understand Keith

Dick Coers

I don't understand your comment Keith? You don't like the design, or the price, or both? Both Artful Home and the artist need to run successful businesses.

Re: Bar stool for Derek Cohen

#6

Clint Searl

The wedges run the wrong way


Re: Bar stool for Derek Cohen

#7

Clint Searl

Re: I don't understand Keith

Clint Searl

Uninspired discordantly poor design. Could be duplicated in China with cherry from Michigan for <$100 retail at the local strip mall.

Re: Bar stool for Derek Cohen

#8

Re: Bar stool for Derek Cohen

Barry Irby

A guy showed me the Walabot on my computer. It's a gadget you hook to your Cell phone that allows you to "see" inside walls and see the studs, pipes and wires. Interesting for a Home Inspector, but I am retired and I have an I-phone. the gadget only works on Android. I can use it and don't need it. I get walabot ads everyday.

Re: Bar stool for Derek Cohen

#9

Ellis Walentine

There are stools and then there are stools

Ellis Walentine

Esherick was a sculptor and a woodworker. His stools were testimony to an amazing aesthetic, and worthy of emulating.

Regarding this particular stool, however you structure the legs and rails, the success of the design will depend on how it feels and functions. The design problem is pretty clear. Place a seat x inches above the floor, make it comfortable to whatever butt is anticipated, and support it adequately. The sub-structure matters. It cant be tippy and it must resist racking or it won't live long. I have serious doubts about stools that don't have rungs or rails keeping the understructure sound. I would have designed this differently.

My 2 cents,

Ellis

Re: Bar stool for Derek Cohen

#10

Re: There are stools and then there are stools

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

Ellis, to my mind, the stability of Esherick's design lies with the rake/splay of the legs. There is sufficient support from the stretchers, which are low and connect each leg. Good triangulation.

The rake and splay look more than 10 degrees to me. They also appear about 7" apart at the base ... which then likely required about 14-15 degrees to splay out the way they do in the picture. This is the area I need to calculate.

The legs are very slim, which is another reason the whole has such a light look. Most of his seats are about 13" x 14-15".

What do you think?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Bar stool for Derek Cohen

#11

I wondered about that feature

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I wondered about that feature. I am not a chair maker but I would have run wedges to push the tenon into end grain, not long grain that could split. I'll bet the chair is less arty with the wedge running the correct orientation. Lack of stretchers leaves it looking incomplete to me.

Re: Bar stool for Derek Cohen

#12

Re: I wondered about that feature

Barry Irby

I agree, but I see it as dangerous. Tip back on those back legs. Imagine what would happen if they broke.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.