WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

More on Subject of Website

Posts

More on Subject of Website

#1

More on Subject of Website

HOWARD GORMAN

Earlier I posted about my website on Network Solutions which needs updating. I hired a photographer and now I have good pictures. I was thinking of moving to another web host because I can't seem to get the SEO done correctly. I entered all the keywords in what they call the "image cafe." But, they won't help me unless I purchase a "marketing plan." So here's where I am stuck - can I do it myself to get the SEO set-up done right, or is this something the web host has to do? If I can do it myself, where can I look so get the step by step instructions, I'm a much better furniture builder than an IT person. Sorry, I know this is not a woodworking topic, but I know many of you are savvy at this so I thought I might ask for help. Network Solutions seems to only see dollar signs and it was suggested I try Squarespace but I need to get this SEO question solved. THanks,

Howard

Re: More on Subject of Website

#2

Re: More on Subject of Website

Brian Holcombe

I use wordpress, and their more advanced 'business' plan allows you do all of this sort of stuff. It's work no matter what and if I'm being frank, I'm not convinced by SEO optimization sale's pitches. A good basic system that lets you tag and describe is likely all that's going to be needed. I put meta tags and descriptions but search engines value information that has been around for a little while, so it takes a bit of time. Search engines like vetted information and part of that process of vetting is time.

Most of my traffic was originally from links that I would post, now a great majority of it is from google. My site is about 2 years old now, continuously updated and provides information that people search for.

Re: More on Subject of Website

#3

Re: More on Subject of Website

chuck wintle

I suggest you google SEO for the step by step. You can do this as well as anyone and its a question of practice.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.