WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Universal (sewing machine) speed control

Posts

Universal (sewing machine) speed control

#1

Universal (sewing machine) speed control

TomD

I have a project where I am winding something with a spindle that I hope to power with a sewing machine motor. The loads will be far lower than the loads imposed by a sewing machine, though I will probably have to step the rpm down mechanically, and that will raise the loads slightly.

There are many motors available on ebay, but almost all of them use 220v. The one motor I found that runs on 110 is about 50% more expensive and runs at half the speed of the 220v motors. These motors all come with a foot pedal variable speed control.

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering whether it is as simple as the fact that the 220v motors would all run fine at 110 volts with the correct plug, and produce half the rpm. Are the pedals just rheostats, and while one looses some performance at lower voltages the motors can tolerate them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/220V-100W-Domestic-Household-Sewing-Machine-Motor-Foot-Pedal-Controller-Kit/192371946106?hash=item2cca42f27a:g:TAIAAOSwonBaFTe9

Re: Universal (sewing machine) speed control

#2

Re: Universal (sewing machine) speed control

Walter Ahlgrim

Try this one 110 volt same RPM same wattage cost a dollar less.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-0-Amps-Home-Sewing-Machine-Motor-Pedal-Controller-HA1-15-66-99K-US-NEW/311874026284?hash=item489d23fb2c:g:r78AAOSwtKVacokT

Walta

Re: Universal (sewing machine) speed control

#3

Re: Universal (sewing machine) speed control

Dave Bair

220 motors will not run on 110, so it's not just a plug-type issue. Some motors will run on either voltage but wiring connections have to be altered. Why not just buy a cheap used sewing machine?

Re: Universal (sewing machine) speed control

#4

Re: Universal (sewing machine) speed control

Gary Smyth

Would a Foredom motor work. These are 110 and speed controlled with a foot pedal. These may be too fast for what you want, but Fooredom customer service may be able to provide alternatives. The flex ible handpiece may be helpful -- or not.

Re: Universal (sewing machine) speed control

#5

Re: Universal (sewing machine) speed control

John K Jordan

To be clear, are you looking for a sewing machine motor? I might have a one and foot controller I stripped out of a machine about 12 years ago (if I can find it.)

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.