WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

Posts

Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

#1

Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.


Missing from picture is a No 8 sole that will become a diamond lapping plate.

Show was in Madison, GA. "Tailgate" sales started at 6AM in parking lot. In the afternoon they moved indoors with more expensive collectables on sale. I got a nice No 3 plane for granddaughter. The No 7 and router plane are for son in law and the No. 4 was in such nice condition I could not resist. Somebody will need it. I was searching for trammels that held a pencil and somehow I would up with 4 sets. I don' t know why I bought the shovel and ax. Maybe to play army? The rasp is some brand USA I never heard of. It is so prickly it will likely cut well. I needed some large dividers and calipers and these Starretts were fairly priced.

Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

#2

Nice Haul

Tom Dunlap

And you bought a cable grab...for??

Would it be rude to ask how much the whole lot cost?

Tom

Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

#3

Re: Nice Haul

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

"And you bought a cable grab...for?? " I live on a farm and pull fencing. As many teeth as it has for grabbers I hope it works well for fencing. It can not be worse than what I have for the task that slips. It won't break. ;)

"Would it be rude to ask how much the whole lot cost?" It would not be rude but the answer could be misleading without knowledge of condition etc. For example the never used Stanley router plane was only $ 50. But it is missing foot, fence and two cutters. Never-the-less it is fully functional as a router plane as I use one. One of the #4's was unbranded and sold for $5. BUT, it has an adjuster with the same odd thread size as a plane I own that has a broken adjuster. The better sum of the two planes will yield a functional #4 with a dandy handle and sole.

Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

#4

Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

Bruce, a MN Galoot

Nice haul. Our MWTCA cabin fever meet is next Sunday, and I’m looking forward to it. I’m hoping to score some measuring tools, calipers, etc.

I have an E-tool like yours, and it goes into the car trunk every time we go camping. Sometimes it actually gets used.

Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

#5

Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

Hank Knight

Looks like you guys had a successful trip. Wish I could have joined you.

Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

#6

Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

E Phillip Smith

We missed you Hank. Weather was much better than last year.

Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

#7

Re: Nice Haul

Tom dunlap

When I started cabling trees I had a curve jaw, Havens I think by name tontension the cable for splicing. I used 7 strand mild strand and then moved tonEHS. What I found out was that the Havens grip would nick/crush the EHS which weakened the cable. The utility company abandoned a Chicago grip...parallel jaws on a guy line. It was rusty when I found it. Good score

I used the Havens for some small strand and it did slip. My MacGuyver fix was to

Hammer some soft copper tubing to use as jaw inserts/whims. Worked great!

Tom

Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

#8

Wha...tool sale...in MN?

Tom dunlap

Hey Bruce

What are the details for the sale next week?

A roadtrip is sure a possibility. Maybe you'd give me a shop tour if it's nearby. As long as you don't clean the shop ahead of time!

Tom

Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

#9

Re: Wha...tool sale...in MN? *LINK*

Bruce, a MN Galoot

Tom, it’s the MWTCA meet at the Medina ballroom, Medina, MN, just west of Plymouth on Hwy 55. Sunday, Feb 11. 500 hwy 55 West. I think the doors open at 8 AM. You need to be a member to get in, usually, but it might be possible to pay an entrance fee.

My shop is a toasty -5F, so even I don’t go there, otherwise you’d be very welcome.


MWTCA Area A

Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

#10

Partial to trammels too

Gary Smyth


I have this thing for trammels. (Maybe because I like to say "trammel'.) Anyway I pick them up whenever I can. Usually the seller doesn't even know what they are called and sometimes what they"re used for. Several, not shown are still in boxes, untouched for years. I keep quiet until I pay. The big ones (with extended beam) have drawn a 84" semi circle for forms for a garden brick gate arch. The drafting trammel points have micro adjust. Trammel. Love to hear the word!

Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

#11

Re: Wha...tool sale...in MN?

Tom dunlap

Mine is ambient temp plus ten degrees if I'm lucky!

I sent an email for more info. Are you attending? We need to cross paths

Tom

Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

#12

Re: Nice Haul

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

thanks for copper tip

Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

#13

Collectors are especially partial to trammels too

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

In the box between the planes are drafting trammels. They lack the beam. I thought I could use 1/8 drill rod but it appears the beam is rectangular with rounded corners. Looks like I need something about 1/8 by 1/4 with rounded corners. Any idea where to get a beam.

while your sources do not know what trammels are they sure knew about them at this show. Nothing in the PIC was less than 25$ even after haggling. The brass ones I would have preferred were $50. Some large brass ones were over $100. Trammels are collectable and anything collectable at this show is amply priced. Uncollectable user stuff can be inexpensive, like the cable puller and the Stake-on tool. .

Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

#14

Re: Wha...tool sale...in MN?

Bruce, a MN Galoot

I sent you an email at the last address I have for you.

Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

#15

Check out drafting suppliers

Gary Smyth

Alvin still is around. I don't know the dimensions of their beam though. Mine are Bruning, Dietzen, and K&E. Starrett still makes trammels but the beam size I don't know. A phone call can't hurt.

My problem was finding points and Ebay had replacements that worked with drafting dividers and in one case a cheap public school compass I found in the dollar store. I didn't see any beams under "trammels" on ebay this week, but you may see some later. If there is a brand name on what you have, check "drafting tools" as well as trammels there later.

Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

#16

Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

E Phillip Smith

My haul from MWTCA was nearly as nice as Bill's but still found some good stuff.

Got great condition scraper plane, nice printer's plane which I plan on using for shooting plane. Some nice NOS files, couple of dividers, and small Starrett square. Also have nice vintage auto creeper which is not in picture.

This is a great meet to go to. Always find something interesting


Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

#17

Re: Collectors are especially partial to trammels

Dick Coers

I'd suggest making it from hickory, or fruit wood like apple or pear. Beam compasses were my drafting bread and butter when I was a draftsman in the gas turbine division at Caterpillar in the early 70s. We drew so many circles, on a single print, we had to use a plastic center on the mylar or vellum to keep it accurate.

Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

#18

Re: Haul from Midwest Tool Collectors meet

Hank Knight

Hi, Phil. I missed you guys too. Next year is already on my calendar Did you score any tools?

EDIT: Saw your post below. Nice score. The 112 looks really nice. I'd like to know how the printer's plane works as a shooter.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.