WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

C'Mon, guys

Posts

C'Mon, guys

#1

C'Mon, guys

Neal in SC

Ellis just reminded me I've been the largest contributor to WC for 2 years in a row! I'm retired and on a fixed income; if I can do it, you can too! Are you feeling guilty, yet? I set it up in Paypal, and they take a small amount each month, so it doesn't hurt.

Re: C'Mon, guys

#2

many ways

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

There are many factors that keep WC alive and well. Cash is but one of them. No doubt there are many behind the scenes factors like moderators. The obvious ones are shopping at advertisers and providing content such as contributions to the Gallery, Articles, Sightings, the Forums, etc.

Re: C'Mon, guys

#3

Re: C'Mon, guys

Stuart Johnson

I changed my paypal to a once a year donation. I think it saves on fees plus I don't have to remember to make the donation.

Re: C'Mon, guys

#4

Ellis Walentine

***Thanks, Neal!***

Ellis Walentine

It's true that it helps to visit our advertisers, but we're not averse to "recurring donations" and other support as well. Advertising only covers a percentage of our annual costs here.

When we started out, I used to run quarterly or semi-annual fund-raisers, similar to the ones that radio stations and magazine websites do. I haven't done that in years. Maybe it's pride, but I tend to shy away from directly asking folks to support the site. But, truth be known, I'd be most pleased if everyone who visits here on a regular basis could chip in a little bit, and our Recurring Donations program makes that easy to do. So, if you like WoodCentral and have a PayPal account (or even if you don't have one), why not consider making a small contribution.

I confess I don't run WoodCentral like a business, otherwise we'd have a lot more bells and whistles and ambitious projects going on -- sales guys, Facebook presence, the whole magilla. It's more of a labor of love for me at this point in my career. But, it's not without cost, in terms of my time and server fees and other expenses. So, as they say, if you like this place, figure out what it is worth to you, and vote with your wallet. Every little bit counts.

Thanks, Neal, for bringing this up, and thanks to you all for your participation in this adventure.

Ellis Walentine, host

Re: C'Mon, guys

#5

Yikes and thanks!

John K Jordan

Neal, your post reminded me that my contributions stopped unintentionally when my credit card was renewed with a new expiration date an my two remaining brain cells forgot to fix it. The PayPal method made re-enlisting a couple of clicks.

JKJ

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.