WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Tree Cabinet

Posts

Tree Cabinet

#1

Tree Cabinet

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

I must say I have been quite fortunate over the years to have really great clients. I just finished this cabinet for one of my favorite ever clients. He found my work on the web and contacted me. He wanted a cabinet that would serve as a focal point for the entryway of his amazing home. The house is a mid century house in St. Louis, designed by architect Bill Bernoudi. Bernoudi was a protege of Frank Lloyd Wright. The client had no specific guidelines. He said he just wanted to have a piece of my work in his home. I can think of no greater compliment and it was quite motivating. The cabinet is curly cherry. The design motif is zebra wood. The turned element and handles are crotch walnut. I will be traveling to deliver this piece this weekend. The only downside is that photographing it now does not quite do it justice. It will look richer when the cherry darkens. Great clients are such a blessing. I have met some really interesting folks too. T.


Re: Tree Cabinet

#2

Re: Tree Cabinet

Yonak

Another fine cabinet, Thomas. Your style is definitely distinctive and there's never a question who's work it is. Your client is going to love the conversations and the compliments from his guests when they walk in that foyer. Congratulations on another winner.

Re: Tree Cabinet

#3

Clint Searl

Great design. Beautiful work.


Re: Tree Cabinet

#5

Re: Tree Cabinet

jesse cloud

Beautiful piece, great design!!

Any chance of a picture with the doors open?

I'm curious about the angled pieces visible between the top of the drawer and the main cabinet.

One very lucky client!

Re: Tree Cabinet

#6

Re: Very nice, Thomas! 


Re: Tree Cabinet

#7

Re: Tree Cabinet

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

Thank you. Because I am still finishing the shelves, I did not take an interior photo. It is not an angled piece. It is square. There are three loose shelves that are adjustable height. I use Lee Valley sleeves with screw-in pegs. They work very well.

T.

Re: Tree Cabinet

#9

Alan Young

Tree-mendous!

Alan Young

Just to have a client who wants your work is special enough- when they trust you with full design decisions-that speaks volumes of your design and execution skills.

Congratulations T!

Re: Tree Cabinet

#10

Re: Tree Cabinet

Gary Smyth

Went to edit and instead deleted my earlier request.

If more photos, please a close up of the central circular element to see how it is constructed. I can't visualize how it was assembled. Also the interior when you finish. A shot of its permanent placement on location would also be nice.

It certainly is a joy to have someone (with means) have faith in a designer/builder/work without advance illustration or restriction. Kudos.

Re: Tree Cabinet

#11

Closer Photo

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

Hear is a closer view of the art in the doors. I used zebra wood to emphasize the linear aspect of the design. There was no way to design that work. It was a totally organic piece by piece process.


Re: Tree Cabinet

#12

Re: Closer Photo

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

All of the zebra wood pieces are 1/4" thick. They are set about 1/16" below the surface of the doors. I dyed the background darker to pronounce the detail and make it pop. T.

Re: Tree Cabinet

#13

Fine Execution

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

of unusual design.

The patron should be well pleased.

Re: Tree Cabinet

#14

A Thing of Beauty Is a Joy Forever

John McGaw

Great work. Left me wondering what the inside looks like though...

Re: Tree Cabinet

#15

One more time

Gary Smyth

For the central walnut semi circle. Are there finger recesses to open the cabinet, or perhaps, a magnetic push/release to spring them open?

Re: Tree Cabinet

#16

Handles

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

Good question. See the first photo. The "tree trunk" are the door handles. I shaped them in a way that you can slip your fingers behind and use them as handles. Likewise the drawer handle below. All the shaping is with gentle curves, so the handles really feel nice. You can slip your fingers in anywhere along either side of the trunk components. T

Re: Tree Cabinet

#18

Re: Tree Cabinet

Keith Newton

Very creative design and execution. Congrats

Is this your first piece of the Tree theme? I've had what I call my "arborescent series" going for over 30 years now and have enjoyed how it has evolved. It will be interesting to see how you follow this up.

Re: Tree Cabinet

#19

Re: Handles

Yonak

Thomas, I was wondering that myself. Did you consider making the drawer handle perhaps a little wider and possibly resembling roots ?

Re: Tree Cabinet

#20

Re: Handles

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

Thanks for asking. I sketched a couple of optional designs but decided this was the design that achieved my vision. I wanted the handles to be clean and stylized, and less literal. I kept the drawer handle equal in width to the span of the door handles so as to integrate and not be an added design element. The handles are meant not only to be relevant to the tree concept but also to lead the viewer's eye upward into the central design. I hope that makes sense? T

Re: Tree Cabinet

#21

Re: Tree Cabinet

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

Thanks Keith. This is actually the second time I have done a tree themed design. I did one several years ago with lots of carving. It was more literal. I think this variation better represents my "design voice". Aside from the tree concept. I also like the looks and texture of the abstract zebra wood pattern. I can envision using that again in different ways. Stay tuned. T

Re: Tree Cabinet

#22

Re: Handles

Yonak

Excellent deliberation. Thanks for the cogent answer.

Re: Tree Cabinet

#23

Wow - Thomas - you have an amazing eye

Howard in Toronto

Hi Thomas -

I love the way you integrated so many tree-type themes into your design. The handles at the bottom and the zebra wood "branches."

You have a distinct - and beautiful - recognizable style. Truly well done.

Thank for this.

Howard

Re: Tree Cabinet

#24

Re: Tree Cabinet

Mark Hennebury

Brave, bold, risky design, Beautiful work, great job.

Re: Tree Cabinet

#25

Tree Cabinet Questions

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

It has been a pleasant experience scrutinizing this piece to see if I can answer my questions through study . I can't.

Is the inset motif all in one plane, that is to say the zebra wood pieces were fit in to fill the circular space like a puzzle with straight sides? Or are there gaps between the zebra wood pieces?

How are to doors hinged?

I'm flummoxed by the drawer. It is a drawer? How is what appears to be a drawer fastened to the legs, and if fastened to the legs how does it open >(

Thanks for posting. It was nice to look at.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.