WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Wiping Varnish Question

Posts

Wiping Varnish Question

#1

Wiping Varnish Question

Tom Norton

I am in the process of varnishing Shaker chairs . Using my Old Master's Varnish that I thinned. As I want to build the finish I was wondering how " unthinned" can you go before wiping no longer is viable?

Re: Wiping Varnish Question

#2

Re: Wiping Varnish Question

Don Stephan

My wiping varnish is a 50-50 mix of good quality mineral spirits and Pratt & Lambert 38 gloss alkyd varnish. I apply with a rag as quickly as possible and immediately wipe as dry as possible with clean paper towels. If I dally too much, I find that the wiping varnish develops streaks when I wipe dry. I expect I would get worse streaking if I didn't thin the varnish as much. Experiment on some scrap plywood.

Re: Wiping Varnish Question

#3

Re: Wiping Varnish Question

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

I doubt there is a practical "thinned limit", unless you spread the material so thin the curing could not take place. I doubt this would be a "practical" mix. Bill Tindall may be able to estimate what that would be. But as you thin you apply a thinner film, therefore you would have to apply many coats to build the film thickness.

I have sprayed several coats of Behlen Qualalacq lacquer thinned below 50% (counting the solvent and retarder together) and have had no issues. But it did take a few coats to obtain the thickness I wanted.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.