WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Sanding sponge grit equivalent??

Posts

Sanding sponge grit equivalent??

#1

Sanding sponge grit equivalent??

Tom Norton

Wondering how to determine the equivalent of grit to a sanding sponge? The 3M site seems to be lacking as for info. Have 6 Shaker style chairs that I am varnishing and thought it might be easier to use a conformable sanding media.

Re: Sanding sponge grit equivalent??

#2

Any part number or picture?

Dick Coers

Are you talking about a sponge with abrasive on 4 sides, or a foam backed sheet? I use 320 Siasoft foam backed adhesive for that purpose all the time. Big Box sponges are too course for sanding between coats.

Re: Sanding sponge grit equivalent??

#3

Re: Any part number or picture?

Tom Norton

No, they are more like a scouring pad. I have a white & purple. But can't find what they equate to.

Re: Sanding sponge grit equivalent??

#5

Re: Scotch-Brite

Tom Norton

Thanks Dick! I guess I did not know the correct name.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.