WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Weak grip

Posts

Weak grip

#1

Weak grip

terry quiram

As I get older I find my grip isn't what it used to be. I have a difficult time tightening and releasing my large clamps. I solved this problem by wrapping my clamp handles with this stretchy material. I bought it at a farm store. 3 or 4 wraps is sufficient and it is robust enough to hold up to daily use. One caution if you are allergic to latex you need to buy the medical version of this product.

Re: Weak grip

#2

Re: Weak grip

Bruce, a MN Galoot

Cool! Will that stuff stay in position without shifting? I need something to wrap on my hammer that I’ve had for 55+ years. The rubber grip on that Plumb is just too hard and slick to hold anymore.

Re: Weak grip

#3

Re: Weak grip

John K Jordan

That looks like what we call "vet wrap". Nice idea. Do you have a problem with the end unraveling? That is a minor issue when used with animals outdoors.

JKJ

Re: Weak grip

#4

Re: Weak grip-tennis racket grip

Tom dunlap

The leather covers on my cross country ski poles wore off. I went into Play it Again Sports to find a solution. They sold me a packet of foam wrap for tennis racket handles. The inside had adhesive. Looking at the width half was foam and half was just the thin backer. At each wrap the foam overlaps the thin bakcernto

Hold it in place

Re: Weak grip

#5

Re: Weak grip

JOE MOHNIKE

I have used handle bar wrap that I purchased at a bicycle store, a little costly but works.

Re: Weak grip

#6

Rubber Gloves

Yonak

The wrap that I used, that looks like that, has come loose over time. I use rubber coated gloves. I have also found that clamps don't normally have to be as tight as I used to crank them.

Re: Weak grip

#7

Re: Weak grip

Don Stephan

A couple years ago I purchased Coban at a pharmacy, looks very similar to what 5he original poster photographed. I don't think there is an adhesive back. It tends to cling to itself but does come loose, like John has found on the farm. It is great though to wrap a bandaid that won't stay in place.

Re: Weak grip

#8

Re: Weak grip

Terry Quiram

It won't shift. Stretch it while wrapping to put a little tension on the wrap. Then compress by squeezing around the handle. I haven't had one unwind.

Re: Weak grip

#9

It maybe time for another type clamp

Keith Newton

While that wrap will keep your grip from slipping, increasing the diameter improves your leverage. lets say that the diameter of that handle is 1", and the handle of something like a Jorgensen clamp with a crank 2" out on the cross bar has the same thread pitch, then the same pressure you applied each would be quadrupled by the extra leverage.

Re: Weak grip

#10

Re: Weak grip

Bruce, a MN Galoot

That’s good to know. Thanks.

Re: Weak grip

#11

Re: Weak grip

William Duffield

I use hockey stick tape. You might want to search youtube for wrapping technique.

Re: Weak grip

#12

Re: Weak grip

Don Orr

I have used this same stuff on my whitewater kayak paddle with excellent results. I did wrap some black electrical tape around the shaft at each end of the wrap to keep it from unwinding. Lasted an entire season of paddling. It's cohesive not adhesive.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.