WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Evapo-rust

Posts

Evapo-rust

#1

Evapo-rust

Jerry Gibbs

Anybody tried this? Looks pretty good and water based.

Re: Evapo-rust

#2

Re: Evapo-rust

John C Lucas

Its fabulous. Ive used Naval Jelly,.reverse plating and evaporust to restore.tools. i like the evaporust the best.

Re: Evapo-rust

#3

Re: Evapo-rust

Chuck Bjorgen

I bought a gallon jug of Evaporust five or six years ago from a local Harbor Freight store. I’ve used it to de-rust several hand planes and found it to be an excellent product. One downside is that it can leave a dark patina on cast iron after use. This can be removed with fine sand paper. I generally use the 3M green pads along with a light solvent such as WD40. After use, pour the stuff back into the jug. It looks terrible after many uses but is still effective.

Re: Evapo-rust

#4

Re: Evapo-rust

Gary Smyth

Use it all the time. Soak for three to 24 hours. Will darken metal, but clears rust. Can use without gloves. I know the name sounds like a joke, but it works. About $20 gallon at Tractor Supply. Reusable as long as yellow color until it turns black color, then dump as it's safe, I put it into compost bin and let it filter through.

Re: Evapo-rust

#5

Re: Evapo-rust

Andy Lincoln,in Deaborn MI.

Works great.If you have an Advance Auto nearby its currently $18+tax if you buy on-line and pick up instore.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/evapo-rust-rust-remover-1-gallon-er012/10181905-P?searchTerm=evaporust

Re: Evapo-rust

#6

One Problem with it

Ray - Middletown, IN

After a fire several years ago I had to de-rust everything in the shop. Worked great on everything but calipers. The round spring broke on every pair of calipers I had after soaking in the product. Some new, some old, varied the soak time, nothing worked. Ray

Re: Evapo-rust

#7

Also on Amazon...

Mike Farinella

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=evapo-rust+rust+remover&sprefix=Evapo-rust%2Caps%2C505&crid=28KCKSANW8D62

Re: Evapo-rust

#8

Re: Evapo-rust

Tony - Memphis

I have used it for a couple of things and been quite pleased with the results.

Tony

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.