WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Odd Ebay sale

Posts

Odd Ebay sale

#1

Odd Ebay sale

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I am liquidating some hand tools I don' t use. I listed a Stanley router plane and began to get pleas to sell it at a price over the current bid during the auction period. Pleas were in broken English and I thought them phony and ignored them. Final bid was an astonishing $106. Apparently Stanley router planes are popular in China. The final bidder is Chinese with a ship to address in Oregon. It took a while but payment cleared Paypal.

Is this sort of bidding common? Are Chinese buying American hand tools? Why anyone would buy a Stanley router plane for that price escapes me. The LV is so mush better.

Re: Odd Ebay sale

#2

Re: Odd Ebay sale

del schisler

even if the payment cleared , he can go back to paypal and say it wasn't complete and wants the money back and guess what back goes the money , take the money out of paypal account and leve it with nothing for them to take from you. i have heared of this happen before good luck most of the other ship to another address and i will pay more than refund the overage back ya right

Re: Odd Ebay sale

#3

Re: Odd Ebay sale

Barry Irby

Del is right. Paypal and E-bay are very pro buyer. They take the buyer's word and will jerk the money out of your account in an electronic second.

I have a friend who sells on E-bay everyday and he keeps his account as near empty as he can.

A common complaint is they did not get it even though the shipper says it was delivered. If he ships signature required, they often fail to sign because it is inconvenient and the item comes back weeks later if you are lucky.

Re: Odd Ebay sale

#4

Re: Odd Ebay sale

Ralph Lipeles

Del,

I don't think that just taking the money out of PayPal will solve the problem. When you set up a PayPal account, you link it to a bank account that will funnel in money into PayPal when needed. The bank account will also have to be closed.

Ralph Lipeles

Re: Odd Ebay sale

#5

Re: Odd Ebay sale

Dick Coers

You can move your money to a savings account, with the restriction that no automatic withdrawals from the savings account to cover a check. That way they can't get to the money without your permission. My friend does a lot of sales too. He actually opened a special account at a different local bank just for his Paypal account. He's just as concerned about Paypal hackers as he is customer complaints.

Re: Odd Ebay sale

#6

Re: Odd Ebay sale

Walt

I have a PayPal account but it's connected only to a credit card, no bank account no matter how much they beg, plead or threaten. Yes they could take money from the credit card account but I figure I can object to the bank so have someone on my side. I regard PayPal as something of a necessary evil for doing online transactions.

Re: Odd Ebay sale

#7

In today's news...

Mike Farinella

Ebay is dumping Pay Pal for a Netherlands company called Adyen.

Re: Odd Ebay sale

#8

Kneale Brownson

That's OK if you only buy.  If you sell......

Kneale Brownson

you need to attach a ban account to collect your funds from PayPal.

Re: Odd Ebay sale

#9

Re: In today's news...

Larry

I find that odd because Paypal is owned by Ebay.

Re: Odd Ebay sale

#10

Re: In today's news...

Larry

Nothing on Ebay that I can find!

Re: Odd Ebay sale

#11

sharon in topanga

Re: That's OK if you only buy.  If you sell......

Sharon in Topanga

If you sell, why can't they credit your credit card account just like they do for a refund of a purchase?

Re: Odd Ebay sale

#13

Re: In today's news...

Ralph Lipeles

PayPal was spun off. It is now a publicly owned company. You can buy stock in it.

Re: Odd Ebay sale

#14

I did the same thing

Tim Greif - West of Chicago

I set up a separate bank account dedicated just to Paypal. It only has a few dollars in it at any given time. If you sell something and are worried, immediately move the money in your Paypal account to the bank account. That way you can move funds easily to a different account and avoid the dollar drain.

Re: Odd Ebay sale

#15

I guess that means . . .

Yonak

. . . that I'll have to be setting up a new account with another payment handler.

Re: Odd Ebay sale

#16

Re: I guess that means . . .

Larry

There's nothing on Ebay

Re: Odd Ebay sale

#18

Kneale Brownson

Re: That's OK if you only buy.  If you sell......

Kneale Brownson

Probably extra credit card processing fees involved. They WILL mail you a check.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.