WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Drawer stop question

Posts

Drawer stop question

#1

Drawer stop question

Barry Irby

I have built a chest of drawers for my Granddaughter.

How do you set the depth stop for the drawers? What do you use to keep the drawer from going too far into the cabinet and remain flush or where you want it when closed.

Re: Drawer stop question

#2

Re: Drawer stop question

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.


Open any antique drawer to see what is done.

Re: Drawer stop question

#3

Excellent, Exactly what I was thinking, thanks


Re: Drawer stop question

#4

Re: Drawer stop question

Don Stephan

A method I think was described by Mario Rodriguez calls for a small L shaped stop in a mortise on each side of the drawer blade. The stops are inset from the sides of the drawer opening enough so that the front surface can be worked with a block plane, and the L shaped stop is thick enough that the drawer stops ever so slightly early. With a few passes of the block plane the stop is easily adjusted so the drawer stops exactly where it should.

I make the mortise go all the way through the drawer blade so I can push it back out when test fitting.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.