WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Website

Posts

Website

#1

Website

HOWARD GORMAN

My website needs a professional touch. I didn't want to spend the money but I think doing it myself has not gotten me where I should be. Here's my question - Network Solutions host my website and for $1,224 for one year, they will do all the editing, building, SEO work, etc. I am supposed to have access to support throughout the year. After the one year, no further commitment. Can I please have all comments on this, I am a much better furniture builder than tech developer. Thanks

Re: Website

#2

Re: Website

Mark Nowicki

You definitely need help with SEO, according to Google you don't exist.

Unless you are want to remain in hiding a link to your current website would be nice.

Re: Website

#3

Kneale Brownson

Re: Website

Kneale Brownson

I paid about that to have a website with multiple products set up. I paid half that to get it moved to a new hosting service from the one that set it up originally.

Re: Website

#4

Re: Website

Don Stephan

My expectation is that it will be a very generic website, since the author doesn't know what you do, what makes you unique, and what your short and long term goals are . . . unless you spend hours discussing same with him or her. And if you want regular updates/changes to the website (new pictures, new products or features, . . .) you will be at his or her mercy.

It does take time and a course or two, but the other option is to have someone help you create your own website in an easy to use approach, such as Wordpress. Yes, you will have to take lots of notes, and make changes regularly so you don't forget how to (I have) but then your web site can be maintained constantly, changes made in a very timely manner, and the ongoing cost will be your time.

Re: Website

#5

Re: Website

Mark Nowicki

The couple of woodworkers that I know in the Montreal area have given up on websites and have gone over to Facebook.

Re: Website

#6

Re: Website

chuck wintle

Can you provide a link to your website...maybe some forum members can give a few helpful hints. I did take a website building course a few years ago and probably could give some constructive hints if you desire.

Re: Website

#7

Re: Website

Bart S Goldberg

Agree - you can't get a decent website without talented content creators. That includes both graphics and written content that tells your story. Most of these services are web site builders, not content creators. My Brother-in-law does web site design and creation and his wife is an amazing writer. If your interested in having them quote you a job, let me know.

Bart

Re: Website

#8

Re: Website

HOWARD GORMAN

Hi Chuck, thanks the website is woodcon.net.

Re: Website

#9

Re: Website

Brian Holcombe

I use wordpress, it’s straight forward and presents well if you can provide good photos.

The most difficult part of websites is the quality of the copy writing (the words) and the photos. The layout and etc is pretty easy now that Wordpress and similar offer nice layouts.

Hire a professional writer unless you are particularly good at writing. At least for your intro and for a bit of romance about yourself.

Re: Website

#10

Your website isn't so bad

Howard in Toronto

Hi Howard

But it does need a wide range of tweaks.

Overall, I think you need better pics. Nicer backgrounds. Closer shot of grain and figure. Perhaps hire a photographer or read a book on technique - exposure and cropping.

Put your pic at the top right - not towards the bottom.

Whoever did the writing did a pretty good job - it just needs tweaks.

For example, the anigre wine cabinet. The interior shot shows it in use with good descriptions. That is great. But the exterior shot to the left is just a dry technical description and dimensions - like a machine catalogue. There isn't enough for someone to say, "that looks interesting - let me start the conversation by contacting that craftsman."

If you did it, it's obvious you can do it - you just need to do it consistently.

Create articles you send by email in exchange for email addresses. It allows you to stay in touch. Not everybody is ready to buy right when they contact you. Examples of articles could be - handmade furniture buying guide - 5 things you need to know about furniture joints - 7 things you need to know about room size.

Judging from your attractive output you could probably tell somebody all of this in your sleep. You just need to know how to do it as marketing for heavy lifting purposes.

Very light overview but you've got pretty good bones there.

Howard

Re: Website

#11

Re: Your website isn't so bad

HOWARD GORMAN

Thanks Howard for your comments. I actually have a photographer coming tomorrow which I think will have a big impact. Once I get the pictures back I'll move on to the website.

Re: Website

#12

Good to hear

Howard in Toronto

Howard

Make sure to keep us posted re your progress.

Howard

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.