WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Prototypes for the stools

Posts

Prototypes for the stools

#1

Prototypes for the stools

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

The stool is 26" high, and the seat is 14 1/2" wide and 12" deep. Eventually, the three counter stools planned for the kitchen will have a Black Walnut seat and Hard Maple legs.

The prototype is incomplete - missing the stretchers. These are planned to span between the legs, in other words, there will be three stretches (ala Esherick). They are not added in these photos since I was experimenting with the number of legs (and there is a limit to the number of holes one can drill before everything just looks like Swiss cheese!).

The model was made from Radiata Pine. That is OK-ish for the seat, but a word of warning - it is horrible for legs. The wood is soft like tissue paper and fragile. I would have liked the legs to be a snitch thinner. That will be possible with the Maple.

The seat received 8 tapered mortices: 5 at the front and 3 at the rear. I played around with the placement of legs - 2 at the front and 2 at the rear, legs in line and legs wider at the front, 1 leg at the front and 1 leg at the rear. At the end it came down to four legs vs 3 legs.

I showed the four-legged version to my wife first ...




Then I showed her the three-legged version ...




What do you think she preferred?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Prototypes for the stools

#2

Re: Prototypes for the stools

Gary Smyth

The Aussie women I've met tend to be more on the slender side as opposed to the big butt women here in the US. I'm going with#3, four legs. deep carved seat with the front curved, plus the stretchers of course.

Re: Prototypes for the stools

#3

Re: Prototypes for the stools

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

Hi Gary

There are two versions, using the same seat.

The seat appears wide enough .. within reason. The front is flattened out to avoid "trapping" a ... ahem ... fuller bottom, shall we say :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Prototypes for the stools

#4

Re: Prototypes for the stools

William Duffield

Did you show her the eight-legged stool? Was it more stable than the others? :D

Did you compare and contrast three legged stools with one leg in front vs. one leg in back? From your hole patterns, it appears that such a comparison would suffer from differences in total area of the footprint.

The multi-hole pattern experiment is a great idea. But you will need to trim off the tops of the legs to test functionality vs. just visual aesthetics.

Re: Prototypes for the stools

#5

Clint Searl

Re: Prototypes for the stools

Clint Searl

Whichever configuration you go with, I hope the legs are drawknifed/spokeshaved, as the resultant subtle faceting will most complement the overall design.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.