WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Brush Selection?

Posts

Brush Selection?

#1

Brush Selection?

Tom Norton

My upcoming project is to finish 6 Shaker chairs. My finishing plan is to spray dark garnet shellac then top coat with Old Master's Varnish. I love this finish!

So I was wondering about one of those "round" brushes? Is there an advantage to them?

Thanks!

Re: Brush Selection?

#2

Re: Brush Selection?

William Duffield

You should be using a totally different brush (different types of fibers) for the shellac as for the varnish. Mops are most useful for carved surfaces. A flat brush is more useful for flat surfaces.

Re: Brush Selection?

#3

Re: Brush Selection?

Tom Norton

The Shaker style chairs have a number of cylindrical srtrechers. Only the slats are flat. I plan to spray the shellac.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.