WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT- Snowblower Paint??

Posts

OT- Snowblower Paint??

#1

OT- Snowblower Paint??

Tom Norton

Already looking forward to Spring!!

I will need to disassemble my snowblower and sandblast the auger and repaint. Wondering if anyone here has gone through this and what pair t do you use?

Thanks!

Re: OT- Snowblower Paint??

#2

Re: OT- Snowblower Paint??

Dustmaker Mike

Every year I do this. I have a 2004 Craftsman that looks pretty good for its age. I use rustolem (SP) I sand blast the rust if any or sand away it lite. I use a good primer and what ever color matches the best. I also replaced the scraper with a piece of steel from lowes and sharpened it last year.

Re: OT- Snowblower Paint??

#3

Re: OT- Snowblower Paint??

Tom Norton

Thanks! Sounds like Rust-Oleum is used quite a bit. I have a husquvana and the touch up paint if $20 per can. I think I can live with a color that is close enough.

Re: OT- Snowblower Paint??

#4

Tractor Supply

Dustmaker Mike

has the most of the colors in stock. At least around here.

Re: OT- Snowblower Paint??

#5

Reminds me of an event years ago...

Denis Chenard in Ottawa

I was about 18 at the time, working on the neighbour's farm. The boss sent my buddy and me to move the oats left over in a barn from the previous harvest to make space for the upcoming one.

Imagine... an area 20' by 20', one foot and a half high full of oats... That's close to eight tons!

My buddy and I were a bit discouraged by the task at hand, we thought, it'll take a week to shovel all that grain with shovels. We tried a snow scoop, works well on snow but not on oats...

Then I thought, why not use the snowblower we had at home? An hour later the job was done!

We returned to the farm, when the boss saw us he asked if we were tired... You should have seen his face when we told him the job was done!

One downside, though... Oats works very well as a sandblasting agent, the "propeller" and the chute were down to bare metal... Let's say my father was not very impressed, as he had planned to sell the blower and hire a snow removal service instead...

DC

Re: OT- Snowblower Paint??

#7

Re: Reminds me of an event years ago...

Tom Norton

That would solve taking the unit apart! Now where can I find some oats???

Re: OT- Snowblower Paint??

#8

Re: While it is apart

Tom Norton

I will add this on. Thanks!!

Re: OT- Snowblower Paint??

#9

ebd

OT - tip for snowblowers/mowers

ebd

As an aside tip for both snowblowers and mowing decks/mowers: After getting them clean I spray all contact surfaces (augar, chute, etc or inside mower/dec, blades, etc.) with ArmorAll and let dry. The ArmorAll makes a very slick, durable surface so the grass clippings, slush, snow, whatever doesn't stick.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.