WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Table saw recommendation.

Posts

Table saw recommendation.

#1

Table saw recommendation.

Bob Boswood

I live in Alaska and have recently been spending 3-4 mos a year here in Okeechobee Fl. In Ak. I have a 24x32 shop totally dedicated to woodworking full of tools and wood and sawdust. Place here in Florida is in need of many upgrades, Windows, doors, cabinets, etc. I'm looking at one of those mobile contractor types of table saws or maybe I'll go with festool track saw and their MFT system. My shop is in a spare bedroom or the carport depending on the weather. I'm single so I can get away with it. I was leaning towards festool. Any advice would be helpful.

Re: Table saw recommendation.

#2

Re: Table saw recommendation.

Barry Irby

I have had a Delta 10" Contractor saw for Almost fifty years. I used a Dewalt portable TS on a job site for about 6 months. Did the job but no comparison. Recently I started to get some Festools. Track saw, router, and Domino. I am liking them. It's a completely different style of working but they are fine tools.

I don't have a Festool vac. I have fitted my Rigid vac with a Auto w=switch and a hose that works well but it is a howling banshee. Trying to bring myself to pull the trigger on one. Also don't have an MFT and it appears it would be a major component to their way of working.

I got the 75 version of the track saw. It's huge and heavy. I would recommend the 55 version.

Considering the cost of all the various Festool components it might be cheaper to go with a TS and a cheap shop vac and a good set of shooters muffs.

Re: Table saw recommendation.

#3

Kneale Brownson

Re: Table saw recommendation.

Kneale Brownson

When I found myself 1400 miles away from my barn full of tools, I bought the Bosch TS3000 because I could roll it outside and fold it up to stick it in a corner of the garage.

Re: Table saw recommendation.

#4

Check out the ...

Mike Farinella

Sawstop Jobsite saw.

Re: Table saw recommendation.

#5

Re: Table saw recommendation.

Hank Knight

SawStop builds a contractor's saw. I've never paid much attention to them; but, if they're built like the SawStop cabinet saws, they should be excellent. The safety feature is worth whatever extra money they cost over, say, a Bosch of some other brand of contractor's saw. The dust collection is supposed to be pretty good for a contradictor's saw.

Re: Table saw recommendation.

#6

Re: Table saw recommendation.

Don Stephan

Pick two or three different projects - maybe building a kitchen cabinet from a quality plywood sheet, making window trim from already surfaced poplar, and another. Take a day or two and think through in detail how you would complete each project with Festool, with a benchtop saw, and with a contractor's saw. How will you get from the fullsized plywood sheet, long and wide board, et cetera to the finished product. How clean and square will the cuts be, how much time will be needed, et cetera. Then start looking at choices in the selected hardware solution.

You might also be able to ask opinion and experience from contractors in the area if you offer to bring lunch for the crew.

Re: Table saw recommendation.

#7

Re: Table saw recommendation.

TomD

Those do sound like the two best places on earth to live, though commuter woodworking is a huge pain, as my two shops are 1000 miles apart, an never have what i could in the place that I need it. Probably some kind of modern saw would be best, but if you are cabinet oriented, and can find an Inca on Craigslist, that would be a great way to go. They are highly precise, but made of aluminum and do not weigh much. I use mine as my main saw, because I like moving the table saw out of doors for all the mess it makes. I don't know for how much longer they are going to be remembered, but up till now, you can often sell them for the same or more than you bought them for, and they end up not costing much up front, or anything at all at the tail end of ownership.

Re: Table saw recommendation.

#8

DIY MFT

jesse cloud

You can make your own MFT. Basically make a table, then a piece of MDF with the holes placed in the Festool style grid.

You can buy the MDF top from Festool as a supply item - they are consumables.

Or there are several third party gadgets that let you drill the right sized holes in the right places.

I haven't got around to trying that, mainly out of laziness.

Go to www.festoolownersgroup.com and search on 'shop made MFT' literally hundreds of threads.

Re: Table saw recommendation.

#9

Re: Table saw recommendation.

Lee Schierer in McKean, PA

My son recently wanted to get a saw for projects at his house. He didn't want to spend the amount needed for the sawstop contractor saw. We looked at the various contractor saws and weren't impressed with the fit and finish of most of them. Some had flimsy stands, most had really poor fences and miter gauges and very small tables.

What he decided to purchase was the Ridgid 10" 13 Amp model 4512 table saw for under $600. I was impressed with the quality for the price. It is a cast iron top and a full size table with a pretty good fence and miter gauge. The safety devices were a little intimidating at first, but they work pretty well. The alignment right out of the box was pretty good as well. We did spend about 1/2 hour getting it perfect according to our dial indicator. The assembly instructions left a little bit to be desired, but were adequate to get the saw assembled.

Lee

Re: Table saw recommendation.

#11

Clint Searl

Re: Table saw recommendation.

Clint Searl

I put a Ridgid 10" fold-up in my vacation shop. Used it to build a wall-to-wall library cabinet out of maple. It performed flawlessly with an 8" Freud Fusion blade. Couldn't ask for more.

Re: Table saw recommendation.

#12

Re: Table saw recommendation.

Bob Boswood

I too enjoy festools quality products. Just can't pull the trigger on the investment needed to perform most of the functions of a table saw. I have a 60's vintage Unisaw at home and have little knowledge of modern saws. I'm going to look at the Bosch or the dewalt and i definitely like the bench idea. Thank you all very much.

Re: Table saw recommendation.

#13

Re: Thanks for the link.

Henry (Raleigh NC)

Interesting ideas and designs there.

I'll have to keep these in mind if I ever have a lot of trim to do offsite or when I no longer have a shop.

Henry

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.