WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

What to do with scraps question

Posts

What to do with scraps question

#1

What to do with scraps question

Barry Irby

I have about covered myself up in scraps. I have lots of shorts and lots of thin rips. Of every kind of wood I ever worked with. Some of them excellent pieces of wood and some not.

I have been trying to think of what to do with them. Projects to use them.

Boxes? I considered slightly rounding one face (pillowed) and laying them up like bricks on plywood to make a headboard.

I think it's time to get ruthless and throw most of them away.

What's your solution?

Re: What to do with scraps question

#2

Re: What to do with scraps question

Dick Coers

Been thinking about doing this on one wall in the living room. I bet I'll have to do the dusting if I put that up!

Re: What to do with scraps question

#3

What I do with scraps

Lee Schierer in McKean, PA

I've made sets of blocks for grandkids and pre-schools.



Lee

Re: What to do with scraps question

#4

Re: What to do with scraps question

Don Stephan

There are at least a couple elementary schools and one junior high here that seek wood "scraps" for the kids to use. The local woodworking club makes toys for kids in the hospital, and can use smaller pieces as well as unwanted lumber.

Re: What to do with scraps question

#5

Some good thoughts here, thanks.

Barry Irby

I was hating the idea of putting them into the landfill or turning those SOB's into BTU's.

Since I posted I glued up a bunch of nasty knotty strips and made a shop shelf.

Re: What to do with scraps question

#6

Re: What to do with scraps question

John K Jordan

And high school art classes love them.

What are the thicknesses? Woodturners can use 1", turners who do segmented pieces can use all kinds.

Glue up a variety of pieces to make small slab, cut through at angles, reassemble the pieces, glue again, perhaps repeat - makes great jumbled cutting boards. Or turn them. Look at four pages of a few of Frank Penta's glued-up turnings: http://www.frankpenta.com/index.php/gallery/category/39-laminations-2015

JKJ

Re: What to do with scraps question

#7

JL

Re: What to do with scraps question

JL

Nick Cook (an instructor and professional wood turner), never met a scrap he didn't like.

I've adopted some of his suggestions.

1" thick pieces - at least 4" or more long - make excellent Shaker pegs.

2" thick pieces - at least 3" or more long - make excellent knobs (he also makes tops out of these).

The rest of my scraps usually end up in the burn pile.

Re: What to do with scraps question

#8

Dick, I've seen that as a backsplash....

Barry Irby

above kitchen counters under the cabinets. As much as I like wood, all I can think is, "That's going to get nasty and impossible to clean."

I was even concerned a bit about it for a headboard.

Re: What to do with scraps question

#9

Re: Some good thoughts here, thanks.

Don Stephan

But are you looking for new projects or trying to clear out accumulated "stuff" in short order?

Re: What to do with scraps question

#10

DTDT

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

in stone for backspash


has done well

Re: What to do with scraps question

#11

Re: Some good thoughts here, thanks.

Barry Irby

You have nailed the problem....If I throw out what I have, I will just generate more scraps as soon as I start the next project. Or I can try to use up what I have on projects that require shorts. This "scrap management" is an ongoing problem. Even if I use up what I have now, there will be a fresh supply when I get back to bigger projects.

I am trying to reorganize my tiny shop to be more productive. I have retired and am building furniture for the kids and grandkids. There will be more scraps than ever.

Re: What to do with scraps question

#12

Yeah But....

Barry Irby

Who needs 132,851 Shaker Pegs and 9056 knobs?

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.