WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Kitkchen Nook Table underway

Posts

Kitkchen Nook Table underway

#1

Kitkchen Nook Table underway

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

A mock up has lived in the kitchen for a while as refinements were made. Yesterday the design was settled, meaning good enough. The table will not require as many men to move as Alan's ;)

The table will be made of rift cut ash with a quarter sawed curly ash top. When we built the house I bought a few thousand feet of ash logs and had them sawed for house parts-flooring, cabinets, trim. A few of the larger logs were rift sawed which yielded a mix of rift and quarter grain. The best of this lumber was saved for future furniture building. Step one was to find pieces ideally suited for the table. This operation takes every saw horse I own.



I spent the afternoon unloading the ash rack in search of the perfect boards. I do enjoy revisiting old friends in the lumber rack. However, doesn't matter how much lumber you have the "perfect" boards are not in there. >(

Four consecutive boards from one of the curly trees were selected to cut the top from.


Re: Kitkchen Nook Table underway

#2

Ellis Walentine

Nice wood!

Ellis Walentine

That's going to be a stunning tabletop, Bill. Can't wait to see it planed and joined.

Reminds me of a dining table I made for a customer once. The architect specified bleached ash, so I bleached it nearly white with two-part Kleen Strip bleach. Final finish was conversion varnish, open pore look. I was very pleased with the result. So was the customer as I recall.

Memories.

Ellis

Re: Kitkchen Nook Table underway

#3

Re: Kitkchen Nook Table underway

Brian Holcombe

Wow, those boards are sweet! :D

Re: Kitkchen Nook Table underway

#4

Re: Kitkchen Nook Table underway

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

Bill, with your skills and that wood you should have an awesome table!

Re: Kitkchen Nook Table underway

#5

Good looking stuff Bill.

Keith Newton

I know what you mean, looking for the perfect boards. I just wish Ash had a bit more luster.

Keep it simple.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.