Is it an electric code violation to install a junction box on the floor joist above a drop ceiling in the basement? It will be a 20 amp 120V circuit protected by a 20 amp GFCI breaker.
Check with your local Code officials, but it is my understanding a junction box may be installed above a drop tile ceiling because it is "readily accessible". This assumes the tiles can be lifted without the use of tools. The box must have a properly installed cover that can be removed for service,.
Don't know. But arcing can occur in junction boxes and.if not readily visible when fire Dept looking for source of "hot electric" odor they may not think to look above drop ceiling. And infrared detector may not see heat above ceiling panel. At minimum you could cut hole in ceiling panel just below and screw blank elec box cover plate to the ceiling tile. The box above would have its own cover but the blank cover would draw attention for investigation. White plastic cover on white ceiling panel would not be an eyesore.
When I built my shop in my basement, I got a building permit - because I was making a lot of changes to my basement. This included a drop ceiling in the shop side as well as the office/library side.
Anyway - to make a long story short, I put a junction box above my table saw with a drop cord to go through my suspended ceiling. The building inspector (and the electrician who wired my sub panel into my main) saw no problems with it.
There are probably billions of square feet of office space in the U.S. alone that are wired precisely that way--with junction boxes galore above drop ceilings.
Thank you, all, for the feedback. I feel more comfortable now with the idea of a junction box above a drop ceiling. I will, however, check with the local building inspectors first.
I have a couple above a dropped ceiling in my utility room and it passed inspection in MN. As long as it’s accessible, it’s good. Here, in MN, at least.
Long time electrician here, it is perfectly acceptable and compliant with code to install a junction box above a dropped ceiling. That's how all drop in 2x4 lay in fluorescent fixtures are wired, whips to JB. As someone already mentioned though outlets above the ceiling are not permitted. Go for it!