WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Drill Press Repair -Success!!

Posts

Drill Press Repair -Success!!

#1

Drill Press Repair -Success!!

Tom Norton

On a recent post I mentioned that my Delta Drill Press was needing a new spindle and that it was obsolete. A Grizzly spindle was recommended.

It arrived today and after taking some measurements with my calipers the dimensions for the bearing areas are identical.

Just one little concern. The bottom bearing stop appears a bit longer so the bearing would sit a bit lower. I am going to ask the guys at the bearing house about some shims.

Re: Drill Press Repair -Success!!

#2

The spline matched?

Dick Coers

Glad it looks like it's going to work out. I guess the benefit of all the different companies drill presses coming from the same factory.

Re: Drill Press Repair -Success!!

#3

Re: The spline matched?

Tom Norton

Yep!

Re: Drill Press Repair -Success!!

#4

Glad my tip worked out, congrats!


Re: Drill Press Repair -Success!!

#5

Congrats, but Mildly depressing

Barry Irby

I'm glad for you and slightly impressed the parts fit.

At the same time it's a little disturbing that if I had a Delta drill press that parts of a brand X one would fit. Doesn't leave much cache for us Delta owners.

Re: Drill Press Repair -Success!!

#6

Re: Congrats, but Mildly depressing

John in NM

Its an effect of modern manufacturing - both those machines were probably made in the same factory overseas. On the balance, I'd say it's a fortunate effect.

I have a small milling machine sold under some off brand I can't remember - company long gone, need parts (it was a beater I got free), pretty much hopeless. Except Grizzly also sold the same machine under their name, and they still offer parts!

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.