WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Shellac Finish

Posts

Shellac Finish

#1

Shellac Finish

HOWARD GORMAN

My finish of choice is always super blonde shellac rubbed out with 4 aught steel wool and wax. I wanted to get opinions on how many coats for best durability(in terms of normal wear and tear, not water/alcohol). On a dresser I'll put on 5-6 coats brushed on with a badger brush, 2lb cut first coat and all others 1-1/2 lb cut. I would like to hear what others think about this, do you do more or less? Thanks for reading!

Re: Shellac Finish

#2

Re: Shellac Finish

John K Jordan

Howard,

I can't answer your question. Bob Flexner has some comments on shellac here, not specifically about your question but it might be interesting about shellac in general:

https://www.woodshopnews.com/columns-blogs/shellac-as-a-sealer-its-all-just-hype

The next time I get down the hill to the shop I can check my various finish books for advice.

JKJ

Re: Shellac Finish

#3

Re: Shellac Finish

jcousins

i too use shellac as my primary finish - but a bit differently.

i start with about 3 wash coats of 1# cut - thinking that the thinner mix will help the etoh to penetrate and carry the shellac deeper. then i follow with 5-7 coats of 2# - padded in.

on larger pieces i do spray the 1# layers - to get a more even distribution - but then pad in the heavier coats.

on pieces that get heavy use - (tables - side boards) i then spray on 2 coats of lacquer over the shellac - for durability.

both are followed by some polishing and waxing

jerry

Re: Shellac Finish

#4

Re: Shellac Finish

Don Stephan

"Lacquer" can be used by different people referring to sometimes very different prodcuts - nitrocellulose lacquer, water borne lacquer, acrylic lacquer, catalyzed lacquer, are four examples. I'm not sure nitrocellulose lacquer is more durable than shellac, and waterborne finishes may have adhesion challenges over shellac containing wax.

Re: Shellac Finish

#5

Re: Shellac Finish

jcousins

yes - need to be sure that you are using dewaxed shellac - after that i have never had any problems with finishes on top - either lacquer or water based.

i guess i always assumed that lacquer is "tougher" than shellac - will have to really check.

thanks, jerry

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.