WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Good Edgeband Source?

Posts

Good Edgeband Source?

#1

Good Edgeband Source?

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

I've mostly "had it" with the iron-on edge banding sold by the borgs or the On-line "toolers" like Rockler; the stuff just joesn't hold and peels off over time.

We've got banded euro-style frameless cabinets that have stayed tight for 25 years so it must be out there somewhere!

Anyone here have a source for the good stuff?

TIA

Re: Good Edgeband Source?

#2

Are you using a primer? *LINK*

Keith Newton

I don't like the stuff either, and haven't used this product, but I have used a primer, but it was so long ago, I have forgotten what it was.

Cutting a T-slot gives some other options for plastic, but not wood tape.

For wood, I usually just go with 1/4" rippings with TB and a few brads.


https://www.wwhardware.com/jowat-primer-for-high-pressure-laminate-j14860

Re: Good Edgeband Source?

#3

Clarification

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

NOT for laminate.

Edging is for veneer ply case-work. Yes, I can glue on 1/4" rips, but it's hard to get them flush to the ply on both sides, so veneer tape is preferable if it will hold.

Re: Good Edgeband Source?

#4

Re: Clarification *LINK*

Dick Coers

I've stopped using iron on decades ago. I glue on 1/8" rips. "Clamp" them on with stretched 3M packing tape every few inches, then round over with 1/8" radius router bit in a laminate trimmer. For any trimming, I made a rig I saw in Fine Woodworking about the same time I switched from tape. It has a sled that rides on the face of the plywood, and a laminate trimmer is cantilevered on the outside of the work, and the bit is parallel with the face of the plywood. One quick trip down each side, hit it with the rounder, and just a touch with the paper. You might try Fastcap, they have a good reputation, but I've never used their products.


https://www.fastcap.com

Re: Good Edgeband Source?

#5

Thanks, Dick

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

I've got a call into the guys who made my kitchen cab cases.

mm

Re: Good Edgeband Source?

#6

Re: Thanks, Dick

Thomas Starbuck Stockton

Mark

I've used www.edgecoinc.com for hard to find exotics, they also have run of the mill stuff. You have to buy a 250' roll though

went on well

Tom

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.