WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Table is done

Posts

Table is done

#1

Table is done

Tony - Memphis

Well, I finally finished this table. I think I posted pics of the prototype a while back. This has been an experiment and a learning project. I have always wanted to try the compass star inlay. Not sure why, but I like those. I needed a small bedside table, so voila. I started out with a much different idea, but there was not enough space next to the bed. I figured this would act as a future occasional table too.

The wood is Honduran mahogany. This is the first project I've built with mahogany and not stained. I'm not crazy about the orange leaning, but I sure like seeing the mahogany dance! The star is tiger maple and king wood I think. There are several "design" opportunities that occurred while building this. I meant for the top to be a little wider, the circle on the middle shelf was meant to go behind the star on top, etc. I didn't set out to inlay the other two shelves, but I wanted to use that ring, so I came up with the idea for using the ebony to make the arrows (what is it? - I dunno?). The bottom design was then done because I thought it needed to have something - leaving it blank would have looked funny? That design is a stylized sun inspired by old maps. It is made of satinwood (two layers).

Part of the experiment here was using my CNC router. I used it for roughing the inlay, cutting the arrows and the sun, and cutting the legs. I cut the arrow inlay by hand. I traced the star with an exacto and then finished the recess by hand (thank goodness for 2.5X glasses!).

Anyway, sorry to ramble. The finish is about 4 coats of Minwax Gloss wipe on poly. I sand rub, sand rub, etc. Last was 0000 steel wool and wax. Oh, one thing I did that I'm not happy with at all...I scraped the inlaid surfaces to avoid clouding the lighter inlay with darker dust. I learned that I am not a good scraper! And, most of that doesn't show up in my shop lighting until you get a few layers of finish applied! You know that "hand scraped/planed look" they try and sell? I achieved it without trying! Live and learn. I made a prototype of the star inlay and turned it into a mouse pad. I know I sanded it and the maple in it is still pretty bright, so.... But, I will say, this maple is very bright. It really stands out. I'll be more careful and practice.

One more Oh...the joinery is dowels. They go through the shelves. I built a jig for the drill press that held the pieces in the correct position for drilling. That worked "ok." Might try something better next time. This all had to be pretty spot on for the joinery to close up nice....its close, but not as close as I wanted. And, drilling face grain vs end grain results in different size holes! I guess due to movement of my jig, end vs face grain, etc.

Ok, I'll shut up now!


Re: Table is done

#3

Re: Table is done

Yonak

It's beautiful, Tony. It'll be a shame the first time someone lays something on the table and covers up the inlay. You could institute a One Year Rule : Nothing gets set on the table for the first year.

Re: Table is done

#4

Re: Table is done

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

Nice looking piece Tony. I suspect the orange you are not fond of will darken over time. In a few months I bet that table will look even richer and more beautiful.

T.

Re: Table is done

#5

As a point of information.

Gary Smyth

Your "star" is called a compass rose. Nice table.

From Wiki. A compass rose, sometimes called a windrose or Rose of the Winds, is a figure on a compass, map, nautical chart, or monument used to display the orientation of the cardinal directions (north, east, south, and west) and their intermediate points. It is also the term for the graduated markings found on the traditional magnetic compass. Today, the idea of a compass rose is found on, or featured in, almost all navigation systems, including nautical charts, non-directional beacons (NDB), VHF omnidirectional range (VOR) systems, global-positioning systems (GPS), and similar equipment.

Re: Table is done

#6

Very nice!!

Jim Dillon

Tony, I agree with Yonak regarding the need to encourage users to not cover up the beautiful compass rose inlay. Try using several coasters to support glasses etc. However, since this is a bedside table, maybe coasters are not needed. Then again... :) .

I made a small table several years ago with a lovely (at least I thought so) carved top and now it is covered with books :\ . Oh well... .

You said you used dowels to attach the shelves to the legs. Did you simply drill from the ends (through what appears to be a breadboard) into the leg, or from the side? Either way, that must have been tough to align up. Thanks for posting. Jim

Re: Table is done

#7

Re: Table is done

AZ in Colorado Springs

Wow! That's a beautiful table.

Re: Table is done

#8

Looks great!


Re: Table is done

#9

Re: Table is done

Virgil Johnson

Nice work.

Re: Table is done

#10

Nice design, coloring mahogany with inlay

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I like the design. Less fond of the color. It will improve over time. Ammonia fumes will color(darken) mahogany and not color maple.

Re: Table is done

#11

Outstanding!

Don Orr

Love the whole concept-very nicely done.

Re: Table is done

#12

Looks great!

jesse cloud

The inlay turns a nice piece into a great one!

Well done!

Re: Table is done

#13

Alan Young

Attractive

Alan Young

This piece is by all definitions Attractive- It draws my attention for form-detail-and even color-I'm not sure what the issue is with the tone of the Mahogany-I say well done!

-Alan

Re: Table is done

#14

Re: Table is done

HOWARD GORMAN

Tony, great job, what model of CNC do you own?

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.