WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Rigid CA-25 Inspection Camera first use.

Posts

Rigid CA-25 Inspection Camera first use.

#1

Rigid CA-25 Inspection Camera first use.

Virgil Johnson

Today I used my Christmas toy to retrieve the no mar tip (red part near lens) for my Accuset brad nailer from its former final resting place behind the base kitchen cabinets I built. I lost it about 10 years ago when installing the cabinets. The tip is obsolete and I had been unable to find one.

I fished it out with the hook that snaps on the lens body. The tip was about 36" away from the end of the cabinet in a 7/8" crack between the base and wall. The tip was not visible from the end of the cabinet due to the viewing angle and the place it landed. I only knew its general location.


Re: Rigid CA-25 Inspection Camera first use.

#2

Sweet! How much $ ?


Re: Rigid CA-25 Inspection Camera first use.

#3

Re: Rigid CA-25 Inspection Camera first use.

John K Jordan

What a great Christmas toy! Those little inspection cameras are incredible (when you need one!)

What a coincidence. I bought a Bosch about 5 years ago and the first thing I did with it was exactly what you did - recover something lost when I installed kitchen cabinets almost 10 years before!

If you are like me you'll find more uses for it than you might imagine. I've since used it to find hardware dropped while working on vehicles, to help snake brake lines through my truck frame, to inspect inside an engine, and to locate and guide the ends of Romex cable through walls, one packed with fiberglass insulation. Mine came with two sizes of cables plus attachments in both sizes - hooks, magnets, and little angled mirrors (I'm guessing they all do!)

JKJ

Re: Rigid CA-25 Inspection Camera first use.

#4

Re: Rigid CA-25 Inspection Camera first use. *LINK*

John McGaw

Or if you are cheap and nobody is buying the good stuff for you then you could buy a substitute. I've not had any opportunity to find buried treasure with mine yet but I keep hoping.


A Cheap Substitute

Re: Rigid CA-25 Inspection Camera first use.

#5

79.00 at the orange big box.


Re: Rigid CA-25 Inspection Camera first use.

#6

Wait a second

Gary Smyth

While I appreciate the gift, I have to ask if that is the only reason for the purchase? I ask because for quite a while now I have looked into these borescope style devices, and I find the less expensive longer length options really difficult to place and hard to use.

The exception seems to be the reel Ridgid pipe inspection units with options for multiple heads, self righting image, foot counter, recording capability, waterproof, sapphire hard lens, BUT also, $2000.

I'd love to get one (congrats on yours) but I want at least ten meters of fiber cable

(two floors worth, chimney length), but feeding it around or through fire breaks in walls and tangled insulation batts (you can forget if foam) in attics has always stopped me. If someone can tell me how to guide what amounts to a loose rope ten to thirty feet out please let me know.

Close in I want one (with a 45 degree mirror), but every thing I have looked at, so far, has left me unimpressed or headed for the poor house. If you can guide me to a good 10 meter long one, or used one with similar length, please post how you work with it.

Re: Rigid CA-25 Inspection Camera first use.

#7

Guiding

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Well, Gary, all it take is a special flute, a turban, and practice

:D :D

Re: Rigid CA-25 Inspection Camera first use.

#8

Re: Wait a second

Virgil Johnson

While I appreciate the gift, I have to ask if that is the only reason for the purchase?

To retrieve an old lost rubber part I had no idea I could find in the first place? Uh no...Just the first use I had for it and it happened to work. While the length is only 40+ inches there are several times I could have used this in the last year. First thing I can think of is when I dropped my 1/4 flex ratchet to the top of the transmission while replacing the intake plenum isolator bolts on the Ford truck. Took a long time with the standard extension mirror and light to find it. Would have came in handy for looking at the rust damage on the inside of the frame of the Toyota truck I owned. Its a tool and a toy that I'm confident will earn its keep.

Re: Rigid CA-25 Inspection Camera first use.

#9

Shazamm! Good one.


Re: Rigid CA-25 Inspection Camera first use.

#10

I got an endoscope

Tom dunlap

But it's not labeled for internal use so nonpeeking up my nose or into my stomach....or...the other end!

It plugs into the USB port on my laptop and I use a movie app. The coiled cable is quite flexible like solid copper wire. I can take pics or video

Re: Rigid CA-25 Inspection Camera first use.

#11

Re: Wait a second

Ken Krawford

Interesting timing on this thread. Yesterday I helped my SIL run a 120VAC cable from a floor outlet to a TV mounted on the wall. I brought my scope I recently purchased just in case. This is a solution looking for problem. It turned out there were some studs not on 16" centers and a few other non-standard framing issues that made fishing the wire so much easier with the scope.

The way we handled fishing the scope was to tape it and the cord to some PEX tubing. It's just rigid enough but can flex if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DS6DXS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got it on sale for $25.99

Re: Rigid CA-25 Inspection Camera first use.

#12

Jason Roehl in Lafayette, IN

Re: Wait a second

Jason Roehl in Lafayette, IN

One option would be to get some fiberglass fishing poles--not the kind for pulling swimmers out of a lake, but the kind electricians use. They're typically 4' or 5' long, can come in a package of several, and have threaded ends for joining together into a longer length. They're only slightly flexible, so if you need more flex, get a steel or fiberglass fish tape. Tape whatever you get to the scope to aid in feeding it through your wall cavities.

Jason

Re: Rigid CA-25 Inspection Camera first use.

#13

Fiberglass fish poles may work, but

Gary Smyth

I have tried the screw-in fiberglass poles from Harbor Freight. As it turns out the rods are inexpensive and 3/16 diameter, are both stiff and flexible enough, however, the brass connectors on the ends have a tendency to snap off at any substantial bending of the rod or in wall obstruction -- more than several times! Very frustrating.

Legitimate electrician rods from Klein 6x the cost 1/4" or 6mm diameter and others are a heavier gauge, better connectors don't seem to have that problem. Fish rods are a good idea but if you buy, pay more but get the rods the pros use.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.