WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT- Tablet Question

Posts

OT- Tablet Question

#1

OT- Tablet Question

Tom Norton

I use an Android tablet quite a bit and have some documents and spread sheets on it. Wondering how I go about transferring similar documents from my Laptop to my Tablet?

Your help would be great!!

Re: OT- Tablet Question

#2

Re: OT- Tablet Question

Dick Coers

It's not uncommon for me to sit in front of two devices with my limited experience. One device to Google how to perform a fix or use something on the second device. Drives me crazy sometimes, especially when my wife thinks I'm the tech guy in the house!

Re: OT- Tablet Question

#3

Re: OT- Tablet Question

Lee Schierer in McKean, PA

I use bluetooth to transfer files between my tablet and laptop going either way. You have to link the two devices and the receiving device has to accept the delivery.

Lee

Re: OT- Tablet Question

#4

Re: OT- Tablet Question

AZ in Colorado Springs

E-mail them to your self and save them on the second device. That's how I move pictures from my phone to my laptop.

Re: OT- Tablet Question

#5

drive sharing- you already have it

Joseph Piotrowski

you most likely already have several free "cloud drive" accounts. simple save you document to these folders.

have a google account? use the google drive cloud storage.

have a Microsoft live account? they have one drive.

have an apple account? use its icloud drive.

or sign up for a free storage account like dropbox (which i use as its operating system agnostic )

these cloud storage are just like a hard drive for you and you just save and load files from them. most have a few gig space and can easily share content with all your devices.

you can even pay for some services and get huge amounts of storage, backup etc.

if you security paranoid, you can setup your own home could storage.

just google any particular could system for hot to save my files to

Re: OT- Tablet Question

#6

Re: OT- Tablet Question

Jerry Nicholson

I connect my Samsung Android tablet to the computer using the USB battery charging cable. The tablet appears as a device to the computer and I simply move files to it. With my Android phone, I move files to Google Drive and download them on the phone. This also works with the tablet.

I should note that this works both ways - I move files from the phone or tablet to the computer in the same manner.

Jerry

Re: OT- Tablet Question

#7

Re: OT- Tablet Question

John K Jordan

I connect with a cable. The docs for the tablet will tell exactly how.

Re: OT- Tablet Question

#8

Re: OT- Tablet Question

John McGaw

Exactly. I'd note that in later 'pure' Android versions, 6 for certain, one must tell the system that the USB connection is for file transfer. If the cable is just connected then the default is that it will just be used for charging. The options on my phone show up as "Use USB for charging, file transfer, photo transfer, MIDI".

When connected to my Windows 10 PC the phone shows up as "Nexus 5" under Devices and Drives and when that is double-clicked "internal storage" shows up, and when that is double-clicked the file structure on the phone is displayed and files can be transferred just like it was part of the desktop computer using File Explorer.

Re: OT- Tablet Question

#9

Re: OT- Tablet Question

jesse cloud

If this is a one time thing, bluetooth or usb is cool.

If you want to be able to use the docs on both machines and keep them in synch, go for a cloud approach or dropbox.

I have some files that change often, but I need to access them on my desktop, my ipad, laptop, and phone. Dropbox just does it, I don't need to remember to copy them before I travel or to copy them back to the other devices when I return.

Re: OT- Tablet Question

#10

Re: OT- Tablet Question

Tom Norton

No luck!

I connected my tablet via the USB cable and selected File Transfer. I tried dragging the file to the Device and got a error message saying something to the effect that it was not possible. So next I emailed a copy of the file. When I opened it up in my email account and tried to open the attachment it said password protected Giles cannot be opened with Google Sheets.

Thoughts?

Re: OT- Tablet Question

#11

Re: OT- Tablet Question

Joseph Piotrowski

are you sure this isn't saved the cloud already?

open you pcs web browser. chrome if you have it, and see if you can open the chrome web app for google sheets and see if you doc is available. other wise jsut google how to open google sheet in

these docs save to google drive by default 99pct of the time.

Re: OT- Tablet Question

#12

Re: OT- Tablet Question

Jerry Nicholson

Did your tablet come up with a message requesting permission to connect with the PC?

Jerry

Re: OT- Tablet Question

#13

Re: OT- Tablet Question

Tom Norton

I looked in Sheets and the file was there but it said Password Protected file cannot be transferred.

Re: OT- Tablet Question

#14

Re: OT- Tablet Question

Denis Chenard in Ottawa

I've used AirDroid, an app you install on your phone/tablet. A bit confusing at times, maybe the interface has been improved of late (haven't used the app in a while), but it gets the job done.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.