I've got the top of my Powermatic 66 table saw off and I've cleaned the worm drives of both cranks.
I'd like to know what grease do you use on these two parts?
Ten years ago I asked the technician at Powermatic what they recommend and he said white lithium grease. And it was the same recommendation this morning.
I'm reluctant though as it's sure to retain any saw dust that comes on it.
I use white lithium for all kinds of things and love it. I used it on my Grizzly cabinet saw that i rebuilt 2 hears ago. Its still.working great. I apply it moderately and then wipe it mostly off so there is just a.thin coat.
What have you used in the ten year period? I just walked out to the shop and gave mine a shot of white lithium grease. Did not hurt a bit. Over the years I've used paste wax, a dry teflon lube and spray white lithium. That's the ones I remember.
Wax wears off too fast. Tried that. Using the white lithium grease when i go in about once every 6 months to reall clean out all the sawdust the dust collector doesnt get there is some.build up.around the gears but not a.lot and it hasnt seemed to hurt anything. I had my last saw which was a.powermatic contractors saw.for 20 years. That is the same lube procedure i used on it. I did try powdered graphite and paste wax on that and several.other machines. They just dont last as long.
I keep paraffin sticks around some of my tool in the shop, like on the big bandsaw which has the metal guide blocks, and just touch both sides of the blade before doing a difficult cut.
It is easy to cut a little wedge that fits the worm and rack grooves. For the worm, just push it in and crank.
Canning paraffin can be bought in the grocery store, and probably most hardware stores.
Besides where the shaft bushings pass throug the housing which gets spray lube, don’t forget the front and back semi arcs that allow the trunion to pivot around the center of where the blade comes out of the top. The good hard paraffin doesn’t attract dust and stays on pretty good.
Other good uses for paraffin, is like where a walkthrough door striker and striker plate need to be slammed to latch. When I visit other people’s home and notice a dry catchy latch, I just ask for a candle if they don’t keep paraffin. It won’t wear off on clothing as people has by in their heavy coats or other flowing attire. Most of the time when I do this, more often than not, I’m led to another one.
I use a high quality dry spray lube from my local bike (mountain not Harley) shop. It's for the chain and specifically for wet, dirty conditions where the chain would pick up crud. I find that sawdust doesn't get held and it's easy to re-spray when needed. It's made to penetrate into every nook and cranney.
Same - I've moved to CRC-36 for most in-shop lubrication needs, its both a lubricant and corrosion inhibitor. Its not extremely cheap but I see the one can is getting low after about 4 years so not to bad. No noticeable effects on any of the finishes I use (caveats about limited list of things tested).