WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Spyderco Sharpmaker

Posts

Spyderco Sharpmaker

#1

Spyderco Sharpmaker

Terry Alexander

Hey guys...long time no comms. Since i retired in August of last year, we let our farm contractor go and are doing all,the farming ourselves. Whew...I never worked so hard in my life. I need my cushy executive job back 😊

Anyway, I have been dabbling in making custom knives. I am having a hard time getting a good edge on knives. I fear that the steel we had in knives in earlier days is not the same as being used today.

Sorry for rambling.

Anyway, I’ve looked at a couple of videos and done some research on the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

So, I’d would appreciate some feedback from you guys.

Thanks in advance and here’s an early HAPPY NEWYear!

Terry Alexander in WestvTexas

Re: Spyderco Sharpmaker

#2

Re: Spyderco Sharpmaker

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

You won't make a silk purse from a sows ear. And that goes for knives with steel that doesn't have high enough carbon and isn't hardened high enough. So sharpening gadget will rescue crummy steel or steel hardened improperly.

Re: Spyderco Sharpmaker

#3

Re: Spyderco Sharpmaker

John C Lucas

Doesnt make any real difference what you use. Just use an abrasive material long enough to raise a burr on the other side. Flip the blade and do the same thing. Might take a course abrasive at first. The just use finer abrasives and repeat the burr raising until you have it sharp enough for its intended use.

The only tricky part is keeping the abrasive alignrd with the angle of the bevel.you want on that blade. In that case some sort of holding fixture is recommended. There are lots of good homemade systems on youtube.

Re: Spyderco Sharpmaker

#4

Re: Spyderco Sharpmaker

TomD

I have had the Spyderco Traingle Sharpener since they came out maybe in the 70s, or 80s. Back then it just had the fine stones, and it is still my go to tool when I want an extra sharp edge. I have also done a lot of scissors on it, from my early days commercial fly tying, to large shears I use for outdoor gear and tailoring.

I gather the sharpmaker just has more stones, a coarse, and there is also a diamond. Haven't tried them but Spyderco never makes a bad thing. The fine stones I have are great for getting that extra sharp edge on your knives, they are better than any other white ceramic I have tried.

The thing though is that the spyderco triangles are really mostly good for sharpening serrated spyderedges. I hate serrated tactical knives, they really aren't a good edge, too aggressive, it is more for the look than anything else. Regular kitchen serrations like miracle blades can be sharpened on round ceramic sticks. The round sticks have a lot more coverage before you have to clean the stick. So for general sharpening/honing, the round sticks are better, particularly if you can find a straight set.

I like the Gatco, and the Lansky seems to be the same, now that Gatco has dropped it. These have the perfect grit transition, and you will get a good razor ede, even if slightly less than what the Spyderco does. A strop would take care of that if it is important, in use it isn't.

https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Gourmet-Crock-Stick-Sharpener/dp/B001KN3OLI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1514367033&sr=8-4&keywords=lansky+stick+sharpener


These still show up, or you can just buy the new version. They all seem to have two grits, and two sharpening angles.


Another one like the Gatco:

https://www.amazon.com/Idahone-V-Type-Ceramic-Sharpener-rods/dp/B004JJV66U/ref=pd_sbs_200_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004JJV66U&pd_rd_r=F4T5030W3JZGNT90PXT8&pd_rd_w=sO5xq&pd_rd_wg=sepxF&psc=1&refRID=F4T5030W3JZGNT90PXT8


Another option is the edge pro, these cost a fortune, and are ripped off by many chinese merchants. The principle is sound and would be easy to make a fixed wooden version of. But these tend to be slow, and I prefer the crock sticks, myself.

With all these system you need to not let the knife get too dull as they are mostly hones.


Re: Spyderco Sharpmaker

#5

Re: Spyderco Sharpmaker

TomD

To really get into knifemaking you need a grinder, a 2x72 is ideal and there are so many plans out there you can make your own with the tools one largely has for knifemaking. I have a KMG, and a Lee Valley 1x42. I want to make a 1x42 that is as well made as the KMG. Don't get me wrong the LV is a really capable tool, but not made from the ground up for knives and tools, and I need at least a 1.5hp motor.



The KMG was designed online to meet the needs of knifemakers for a home makeable grinder. For instance it bolts together, which obviates welding, but as you can see some people will weld and use other shortcuts, like the tubes in the first one pictured.

Re: Spyderco Sharpmaker

#6

Lansky

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

Hi Terry

The grinder that Tom shows excels at shaping the blade. However, if you wish to add a "perfect" bevel to the blade - not just sharp but also well shaped ... fine and even - then you need a jig that makes this process repeatable. The Lansky does this very well ...


Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Spyderco Sharpmaker

#7

Re: Spyderco Sharpmaker

Gary Smyth

First as has been pointed out. you need the steel. Much stainless won't get you what you want.

OK! I have several sets of the Spyderco. I use them all the time -- especially the ceramics for scissors. That said I would advise you to hold off. I looked to their web site and they advertise $104 for the tri-angle sharpener. At that price not worth it. Look to other sources for discounts. BIG discounts. Spyderco for some reason doesn't register with many people as a quality product on the secondary market. The name sounds like some fly-by-night. As mentioned I have more than a couple sets, shop, kitchen, car, office -- more if I dig em out, and with the exception of the first set bought at the Annapolis boat show ($42) I have never paid more than $10 for a set in it's plastic pouch. Sellers seem to toss it in with other stuff and never bother to take it out and check price. Their product line is available and are around if you look for them.

If you find a set (fishermen, boating, sewing, kitchen, campers, hikers, etc. sales) the price will be sufficiently low to make the plunge. I don't think at a low price you will be disappointed.

On the other hand, for shaping and preliminary sharpening, I'd look to find a belt machine. My go to is an old Rockwell of the 1970's. The old Craftsman wide belt combo has also paid for itself over and over again. Good hunting.


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.