WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Farewell Joe Johns *LINK*

Posts

Farewell Joe Johns *LINK*

#1

Alan Young

Farewell Joe Johns *LINK*

Alan Young

On Christmas morning I turned on my computer and saw the sad news that Joe Johns had passed. I met Joe Johns in the summer of 2005 at Lee Grindingers Montanafest. The gathering still remains a highlight of my woodworking life-I met Lee and Ellis that weekend and had a spectacular time talking everything woodworking and partying and having great fun.. People came from all over the country for this three day event-Joe Johns came from not too-far away Ronan Montana. He was one of the presenters for the event-talking about shop safety and table saw maintenance.





Joe also ran an e-mail list for woodworkers that I signed up for after meeting him at Montanafest. A few months after getting home Joe posted a pciture of a 1973 Delta Unisaw that he bought an estate sale just because it was there. He then offered up to the list-I accepted and a couple weeks later a big crate came to my place where my son-in-law helped me unload it a get it piece by piece down to my basement shop. For the last 12 years it has been the work horse of my shop-not just as a Table saw but as a work bench assembly table and too-often a lumber storage rack.






I know Joe would like to think I had taken better care of the saw in regards to it's appearnce but I hope he knows how much I have enjoyed usng this saw and what work it has helped me turn out. Thanks Joe- I'll always remember you when I turn on the Delta.

RIP Joe.


PS .I gave Joe a "Michigan gift" It was a Porter Cable Biscuit Joiner container-full of shavings from a walnut tree that came from Dexter, Michigan not far from where I live. In nearly everyone of his You-Tube videos taken in his Twisted Knot Woodshop-The canister can be spotted all alone at the top of the storage shelves in the back left corner of his shop.


These shelevs are just to the left of his double table saw set up. 29:30 into the video.


Joe John's Shop Twisted Knot Woodshop Tour

Re: Farewell Joe Johns *LINK*

#2

Re: Farewell Joe Johns

Jeff Heath

A nice tribute Alan. I feel the same about Montanafest, and consider myself lucky to have met you all in person, including Joe. I was just in Idaho at Dave Howerton's a few months back, and we had a good long talk about that weekend.

RIP Joe.

Re: Farewell Joe Johns *LINK*

#3

Lee Grindinger

Re: Farewell Joe Johns

Lee Grindinger

Thanks Alan, I remember Joe well. He was one of my highlights for MontanaFest as well. RIP Joe, thanks for the memories.

Re: Farewell Joe Johns *LINK*

#4

Re: Farewell Joe Johns

Big Dave

I met a lot of nice folks at MontanaFest, but few stood out like Joe. We kept in touch regularly over the years, even exchanging time helping to build each others' shops. He made a few other trips to visit as his wife also had a friend here in Post Falls, so we saw each other several times. Each time was memorable...

Time spent with Joe was never wasted time. You either learned something (usually several things...), or laughed a lot. More often than not, it was both...

Dave

Re: Farewell Joe Johns *LINK*

#5

Ellis Walentine

Thanks, Alan...

Ellis Walentine

... for the heartfelt tribute to Joe. Other than at Montanafest, Joe and I never crossed paths, but he left a lasting impression. So sorry to hear that he's gone.

Clearly, that Unisaw has been a cornerstone of your woodworking career. I'm sure Joe is glad that it is in such capable hands.

Ellis

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.