WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Uses for nut tins

Posts

Uses for nut tins

#1

JL

Uses for nut tins

JL

The LOML bought many tins of Thai curry cashews. This was a close out, so she wanted to make sure she had plenty :). Anyway, these are nice tins, about 1 qt. each. The seal is quite good.

I keep my screws and small parts in several small cabinets w/ drawers, the original boxes or small plastic boxes with dividers. I do not have enough of anything to fill a quart sized tin.

They are shorter quart metal tins with close fitting metal lids.


I have no problem with recycling them - I just hate to waste a good tin if there is another possible use. After all, I recycle my peanut butter jars for mixed finishes.

So, can anyone suggest uses?

Re: Uses for nut tins

#2

Re: Uses for nut tins *LINK*

Kevin French

Quart size is big, I might use it while finishing and wanted a smaller can. I've collected many Dog Food cans for the nuts, nails and screws when I'm working on a project. The prefect size is the small Tuna cans.

I bought a Smooth Edge Can Opener that cut outside of the can w/o a sharp edge, it also eliminates the inner lip on a can with a foil pull open top you find on a lot of nut can.

Then the problem becomes what to build out of all those rings


http://https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/zyliss-reg-safe-edge-can-opener-in-white/1040521183?skuId=40521183&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_kitchenaccessories_online&product_id=40521183&adtype=pla&product_channel=online&adpos=1o2&creative=224

Re: Uses for nut tins

#3

Re: Uses for nut tins

Don Evans

These type openers are great. I noted the one you have sounds like a magnet pulls the lid off? That will not work on aluminum cans.

We have one of these openers and it has a set of griper jaws that grips the lid to pull it off after the cut of course. No sharp edges is great with these.

Wife got it from Pamper Chef.

Don

Re: Uses for nut tins

#4

Thanks for the nostalgic memory of my Dad

Dick Coers

My Dad never met a container he didn't like. Tobacco tins, wood cheese boxes, coffee cans, salve tins, metal band aid boxes, canned ham tins, you name it. The man used large Karo corn syrup jars like a thermos. He kept one on the tractor platform for decades. We had shelves filled with random containers for everything in the shop. He's been gone for 32 years now, and I love getting little reminders like this, thanks.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.