WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

*** $20,000 needed this week *** *LINK*

Posts

*** $20,000 needed this week *** *LINK*

#1

Ellis Walentine

*** $20,000 needed this week *** *LINK*

Ellis Walentine

No, not for WoodCentral, although donations are always gratefully accepted. :)

I don't usually advocate for causes here, because I think all of you are fully capable of determining what's worthy in your estimation, and you will support them as you see fit. But, this is a cause that I happen to believe in, and it's personal to me because my son is one of the principals. Being woodworkers and tree lovers, I suspect that you may also be convinced.

My son March Young and his partner Ayana Young have dedicated the past five years to the reforestation of Cascadia, the coastal mountain bioregion that runs from northern California to southern Alaska. They have established their headquarters on a large tract of redwood forest land, off the grid and alongside the south fork of the Eel River, surrounded by over 100,000 acres of existing, preserved redwood forests.

As you may know, redwood trees are nature' most effective sequesterers and processors of atmospheric carbon dioxide. Throughout their native range, many of Cascadia's redwood forests have been decimated over the past two centuries by suburban sprawl, logging, wildfires and drought, taking with them the rest of the biodiversity -- primarily mycelia (mushrooms and other fungi) -- and the rest of the flora and fauna that only exist in healthy forest biomes.

Anyhow, to make this long story shorter, Ayana and March are winding down a month-long Kickstarter program that will fund the next phase of their very ambitious "One Million Redwoods" project, in which they will finish construction of a large redwood nursery on their property that is currently well underway, and propagate and distribute millions of redwood seedlings to municipalities, associations, forestry programs, and volunteer groups up and down the coast. In their own words:

The 1 Million Redwood Project draws on ecological, economic, and social innovations with a multi-scalar approach that incorporates land conservation, ecological restoration, multi-disciplinary research, and large-scale plant propagation in a restorative native species nursery. The nursery will function as a living library and laboratory that will help to safeguard rare and endangered plant and fungal genetics of the redwood range.

To succeed in this venture, they need to raise the final $20,000 needed to reach their goal of $100,000 by the end of the year. Their project is already the most popular farm project in Kickstarter history, and success is well within reach; but, with Kickstarter, it's all or nothing, and this is the week that was.

I encourage you to check out their website and learn more about this project and its potential importance, and, if the spirit moves you, to consider participating in any way you can. While you're there, you may enjoy listening to some of their 62 (and counting) podcast interviews with authors, scholars, scientists and ecologists around the world.

I've never posted a solicitation like this in the 20-odd years I've been hosting woodworking sites, so I apologize in advance if you find it in any way intrusive. Thank you so much for your forbearance and participation in this worthwhile venture.

Ellis Walentine, Host


FOR THE WILD

Re: *** $20,000 needed this week *** *LINK*

#2

Re: *** $20,000 needed this week ***

Andi Wolfe

I'm happy to contribute to this effort, and encourage others to do the same.

Andi

Re: *** $20,000 needed this week *** *LINK*

#3

Re: *** $20,000 needed this week ***

Henry Higginbotham

Thanks for the detailed write-up, Ellis. I'd more often donate to worthy causes if I knew this much about them. (And so I did.)

Re: *** $20,000 needed this week *** *LINK*

#4

Just curious Ellis

Dick Coers

While reading the information, I was struck with lack of partnership with other agencies. Just curious why are they attempting this all on their own? Maybe I missed something. There is a mention of possible partnering, but it sure would take some heavy lifting to do this with a limited size group.

Re: *** $20,000 needed this week *** *LINK*

#5

Ellis Walentine

Independence?

Ellis Walentine

Interesting question, Dick, and I don't think I can answer it, at least not without going to the sources. I know that they have a large network of colleagues and friends who physically assist with the construction and marketing aspects of this venture. They have also reached out to other funding sources, with considerable success. I'll see if I can get back to you on this.

Ellis

Re: *** $20,000 needed this week *** *LINK*

#6

Ellis Walentine

Success! *LINK*

Ellis Walentine

Yep, unbelievably the Million Redwoods Project has topped its funding goal of $100,000, with four days to spare. Thanks to all of you who pledged something to this worthwhile enterprise. It's hard to believe they raised almost $20,000 in just over 24 hours! Living proof that a lot of people want to help our environment.

Onward,

Ellis Walentine, Host


The Million Redwoods Project

Re: *** $20,000 needed this week *** *LINK*

#7

Congrats

Dick Coers

I feel this will have to be the new normal for funding ecology and conservation concerns.

Re: *** $20,000 needed this week *** *LINK*

#8

I chipped in too!

Stuart Hough

What a worthy cause! Glad to be part of it! Although I got in after the goal was met, I know every little bit helps!

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.