WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

air compressor oil

Posts

air compressor oil

#1

air compressor oil

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

what kind of oil does an air compressor use. I need to change mine

Re: air compressor oil

#2

Re: air compressor oil

Barry Irby

I bought a pint (?) at Lowe's. It was specifically labeled for Air compressors. I think it was a synthetic. Before that I always use 30 weight motor oil. I bet 30 weight synthetic motor would be fine.

Re: air compressor oil

#3

Synthetic Only

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Regular petroleum motor oil tends to carbonize your pump's parts (piston, rings, valves) resulting in reduced CFM, more oil carryover, and longer runs to get up to set psi. This is why the quality makers (IR, Quincy, Speedair, etc) will double their pump warranties if you buy and use synthetic oil. I use IR's label but both HG and Lowes sell their own brands of the same stiff.

Depending on your use, change once or twice a year.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.