Just sawed off a rusted in bike rack off my wife's car. The hitch is ok but I need to REALLY sand the interior of the hitch to clean it up. Will then prime and paint.
But wut like a few ideas about how to attack this tubing.
etrailers.com sells a square bristled brush to scrub out the inside of re River hitches. I'd use PB Blaster as the rust disolver then Dawn to clean it up. Paint with a rust stabilizer/converter primer and good paint
I have hitches on both of my vans, son has them on 2 or 3 vehicles. We have had several trailers so some do get changed occasionally. I do not paint the interior of the hitch receiver. Instead I would clean out the rust with either a brush or sandpaper wrapped around a piece of wood until the hitch fits freely. Then I liberally apply wheel bearing grease to the receiver and the hitch. I started doing this about 10 ~ 15 years ago when I had a hitch stuck in so bad I had to chain the hitch to a large tree and pull it loose (lifted the front wheels off a 3/4 ton van before it came out). Since then the grease has prevented any from seizing or rusting as far as I can tell.
Larry, that is what I did this Spring. Last week I hook a tow strap to my truck hitch and we tried to pull it out. No go. And since the bike rack needed to be replaced out came the SawzAll! I was able to cut the stuck tubing piece inside the hitch and remove. Will have to wait until Spring now to finish! Winter is here in NE Ohio!
I agree with this. Around the farm I have numerous steel things that must work together including multiple trailer hitches. I'm a compulsive grease freak. Thick grease keeps the moisture and air away from the steel.
I bought some cans of something called "Black Oil" from an equipment supplier - he said some of his heavy equipment customers in mining and construction swear buy it - thick, sticky, smelly, expensive. I think it would be perfect for a trailer hitch that stayed connected for long periods. (I can look for the brand if anyone wants it.)
BTW, on the subject of grease, my favorite for smaller things that get use is Zep 2000, spray can. This stuff is amazing - it goes on as a liquid that penetrates between things in contact then turns into a thicker grease in a few minutes. I use it on equpment, mowers, vehicles, hinges, everything that is supposed to move. Not always easy to find - after my first two cans I bought a case.