WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Milk Paint?

Posts

Milk Paint?

#1

Milk Paint?

Tom Norton

Wondering if anyone here has had experience with using milk paint, 2 colors one under the other?

I am making a turned wooden chandiler that I would like to finish in a "primitive/americana " style. The arms will be sprayed black or oil rubbed bronze.

The turning is is complete and I am waiting for the parts from a lamp company.

So any help would be great!

Thanks

Re: Milk Paint?

#3

Re: Milk Paint?

CJ in MPLS

We did this on a set of Windsor chairs we purchased from a fellow named Bob Dillon in MN. The multiple colors coming through looks great. Note that we did not distress the chairs; we allowed them to age naturally.

I'm not certain what type of distress one might see on a lamp. To be honest, artificially distressed stuff tends to look artificial to me. But to each their own.

Re: Milk Paint?

#4

Curtis Buchannan videos

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

You can find his Windsor Chair build on the internet and in one or two episodes he demonstrates the process in detail.

Re: Milk Paint?

#5

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: Milk Paint? *LINK*

Jack Guzman from Maine

Tom, I build windsor chairs and I use milk paint exclusively. I use several different recipes of one color over another. Peter Galbert outlines the process in his blog.Curtis Buchanan also talks about the process in his videos which are available on you-tube.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask and if I can help I will.---Jack


Chair notes blog

Re: Milk Paint?

#6

Re: Curtis Buchannan videos

John C Lucas

I learned it from.Curtiss. its very simple.

Re: Milk Paint?

#7

Re: Milk Paint?

Tom Norton

Thanks for the replies! Curtis's videos will be helpful for the finishing of the the chandelier. I plan to head over to Woodcraft tomorrow to pick up my milk paint selections.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.