A friend has a peninsula in they're kitchen with an over hang about 11" wide. There is a drawer under it with full extension rails. Because of the overhang the drawer is only about half exposed when open. Does anyone make runners that wi will extend even further?
There may be, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen them offered.
Here is something you can try though. You could cut the front out of the existing drawer box, then add another set of slides inside, then build another box 2” smaller nside. I think I would stick with the second set being full extension even though you don’t need that much. I thin the would give better support to that middle divider with less twisting inward pressure than the standard length epoxy coated or whatever.
You might could just get away with using a 1/2” side between the old and new slides, but that would be more limber from side to side without a back and bottom.
Wow! and thanks. They're idea of "over extension" is an 1 1/2".
It did occur to me that there is a void behind this cabinet. We put a 3" filler/ spacer both ways in the corner to allow the drawers on the "other" side to open and close without getting tangle up in each other in the inside corner. I could buy a 24" over extension runner set and let them stick out the back into the void and that would give me almost 6" of extra travel. The worst part of that is the drawer has undermount runners and these are side mount. At about $20 not horribly expensive thought.
I've doubled up full extension side mount slides for more than one application. The first times I did it, I put a half inch baltic birch plywood strip between the slides, and screwed the slides to the plywood. This reduces the effective width of the drawer by 2". Lately, instead of the plywood spacer, I have just bolted the inner slide to the outer slide, saving an inch of lost drawer width. Figure out how far the drawer needs to move from fully closed to fully clearing the counter top, divide by two, (depending on the manufacturer of your slides, you might need to add an inch), and buy two pairs of slides that long.
OK. Did some more research and read more carefully this time. This French company makes telescopic slides with three and four sections that may do the job.
They have a downloadable PDF catalog that may assist and they are now distributed in the US.
I used several slides in industrial applications (holding large heavy test equipment and extending out over 150% of drawer length). As I recall they cost between $150 to $200 a set. Some similar on Ebay here:
Others are available ~ search INDUSTRIAL draw slides (and similar searches) Don't know if the price is worth the access, guess it depends on how deep pockets you have!
How about making a narrower drawer box and using two sets of slides with a 3/4" spacer between each?
Only over travel one's I've seen give you a mere 1" or so (I like them for kitchens where you have counter top projection, but it's no where near the scale you're talking about!)
I posted a link above to a company which makes 'sorta-standard' cabinet drawer slides which have four beams and go to 150% extension. Don't know about the price but they should be lower than those made for rack-mounted electronics; I used to use them in 19" racks to hold really heavy equipment like Collins R-390 shortwave receivers. Those slides did have pivots which allowed the equipment to be tilted after it was pulled out but I know that they were really expensive even back in the 1980s.