WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Jointer questions

Posts

Jointer questions

#1

Jointer questions

Barry Irby

I have a Delta 6" long bed jointer. Lately I have been struggling with wide pieces on edge. It seems I am a bit wobbly.

Anyone tried adding a supplementary fence, extending it up say ten inches? My fence has three holes in it that could be used for bolts. I was also thinking of using strong magnets to make it quick to remove the auxiliary fence if necessary.

And has anyone used magnetic featherboards stuck to the infeed table to help keep the bottom edge close to the fence?

Re: Jointer questions

#2

Ellis Walentine

Re: Jointer questions

Ellis Walentine

All your suggestions work.

Ellis

Re: Jointer questions

#3

Re: Jointer questions

C John Hebert

I use to use magnetic father boards on both the infeed and outfeed, but...almost quit using my jointer altogether and went to my festool saw and guide. I'm not promoting Festool but...the stuff I used it on was dead on the money, and in one pass!

What prompted me to go that route was sawing my own 12' logs to lumber. I have an 8" long bed jointer and it was such a hassle trying to join 12' stuff. So one day I put 2 tracks together and tried it, and I just about retired my jointer. I couldn't believe the time I saved and the edge to edge laminations were right on the money.

Re: Jointer questions

#4

John,....

Barry Irby

I have a Festool TS 75 track saw I bought at a tool auction. Only used it a few times. (Cut off a bunch of doors). That thing is a beast. It will cut 75mm (almost 3" thick) stock. Am beginning to wish I had gotten the TS 55 version.

Are you saying the blade/track/setup is good enough that I can saw long grain joints right off the saw?

I also have a 1400 router and an attachment that allows it to use the same track. Wonder if I can cut glue quality straight joints with that?

Re: Jointer questions

#5

Re: John,....

C John Hebert

I used their finest blade, set my saw table perfectly and straight edged all my rough cut lumber good enough to edge join...no problems at all

Re: Jointer questions

#6

Re: John,....

jesse cloud

It works, I have done it a number of times. I still like to take one shallow pass on the jointer.

It will also save you a lot of time and effort to take off a rough or wavy edge with the TS before doing anything with the jointer.

Pull out some scrap, rip a piece and put it back together again. See what you think!

Re: Jointer questions

#7

Re: John,....

Brian Holcombe

I've used a track saw for a good number of years now and I've never experienced a cut that I would consider a replacement for jointing. Not saying it can't be done, but I'm curious as to the particulars.

What blade are you using?

I use a TS55 and typically pick the blade based on thickness of lumber, 12T for the big stuff, 55t for the small stuff.

I have Minimax FS41 J/P now and that points a nice edge on a board :D A nice face too.

Re: Jointer questions

#8

Re: John,....

Barry Irby

I tried my TS75. Did not approve of the joint. Tried to joint them again. Got one of them, but the other one would not cooperate. Used the track and the edge guide on the router and nailed it.

Finally figured out the board had a little "step" in the edge. The jointer was just moving the step around.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.