I am still working on that trestle table for my son. I have the top done , and the X leg assemblies are almost done . The next step will be to cut the cross beam to length. My question is, how much distance should I leave from the end of the table to the leg assemblies, for comfortable seating at the head of the table? Are there any conventions? The table top length is 88.5".
As Brian wrote, 16" (maybe a bit more) should provide sufficient room for a seat 'at the head of the table'. I went the opposite direction with my trestle table and put them further out at 4" and did away with the 'head' position. Having that big a overhang on such a heavy-looking table just didn't seem right to me. My table is about 87" long and 33" wide and has the look of something where you might serve a whole roast ox -- no delicacy at all; if yours is lighter then that might make a difference.
John, The seating at the sides should be taken into consideration also. Do you intend to seat two or three on each side and also do you intend to push the end chairs in when not in use? George
I cobbled this one together from a patinated copper tubing base from an earlier project, and a top out of 5/4 ipe decking. It's 90" long. The deep overhangs appealed to me, and gave lots of leg room for end seating. It was used inside and outside.
I can accommodate three traditional Shaker slat-back chairs on each side with ease and could, if those seated were very friendly and didn't have flying elbows and if I ever make enough chairs, manage four on each side. All can be slid in fully with ease. I don't really anticipate needing so many at my time of life and with my family situation.
Re: lets see some more of those graceful chairs *LINK*
John McGaw
I definitely know my own limits and when I discovered that I would need to lengthen my lathe to turn parts for even a regular straight-back chair I did the obvious.
There are conventions, but there is no single, simple answer that will work perfectly for the undescribed and probably unmeasured space for which you are building it. (A link to your original thread on the table might help.) There is, however, at least one textbook that you can use to figure it out and which will point out the questions you need to answer. You should be able to find it in your local library, or if you are planning on designing and building more furniture that works, you can get your own used copy from the internet. Specifically, Amazon and their associates offer it both new and used.
"Human Dimension & Interior Space: A Source Book of Design Reference Standards" by Julius Panero and Martin Zelnik