WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Features of multi-tools

Posts

Features of multi-tools

#1

Features of multi-tools

Tom dunlap

I've seen what multi-tools can do but I've never used or owned one.

There are a couple of uses for one on my camper project

I've looked for objective comparisons but haven't found any sort of feature comparison

So...once again I'mnturning to the tribal wisdom here at WC

What should I look for?

Re: Features of multi-tools

#2

Re: Features of multi-tools

John K Jordan

Tom,

I can't help with your question except to encourage you to get one. I have experience with only one brand, the Fein, which I've had and used for years. I don't use it every day but it is often quite useful and on occasion there is nothing I have that will do a better job.

The Fein is not exactly a budget tool but I've seldom bought a tool and wished I'd bought a lower quality one!

JKJ

Re: Features of multi-tools

#3

Re: Features of multi-tools

John in NM

We have one mostly for remodeling work. Very handy for cutting electrical box holes in drywall. Much as I hate to recommend Harbor Freight, they have a nice selection of blades that fit mine, including diamond blades I'm going to try for tile work - nicking off just a corner or something similar too small for the tile saw.

I bought the Rigid version since I already had their drill & impact driver, figure its an extra battery and charger too. Rigid makes a variety of other tools that snap on the body in place of the multi-tool head, angle drill, sawzall, etc.

Re: Features of multi-tools

#4

Re: Features of multi-tools

Bruce, a MN Galoot

I have a cheap Performax that I got on sale at Menards. I got it to do a job that no other tool would do, and it did that quite well, and then I found other uses for it. There is one warning, though: the cheap price is more than offset by the extortion they charge for the blades.

Re: Features of multi-tools

#5

Re: Features of multi-tools

Dick Coers

I use a multi-tool about once a year. So bought the $20 Harbor Freight tool. It will put your hand asleep if you run it long, and really loud. But don't mind the low quality when it sits on the shelf month after month. In fact, I didn't use it this year at all.

Re: Features of multi-tools

#6

Jason Roehl in Lafayette, IN

Blades and technique...

Jason Roehl in Lafayette, IN

I have a Fein. Great tool, toolless blade changing.

Blades are pricey, even if you get an adapter so that you can use other brands of blades. One way to reduce the price on blades is to be careful how you use the tool. You can't just bear down on the tool in one place. The work and the blade will get hot quickly, and the blade will go dull--it's easy to get wood smoking with a new blade, even easier with an old, dull one. You have to keep the tool moving. Also, remember that it's an oscillating tool, and it's only moving 1/16" or so, so there is not much room for dust to clear--clearing the dust will help keep the heat down.

Jason

Re: Features of multi-tools

#7

Re: Features of multi-tools

Barry Irby

I have two and used another the other day.

I have a Bosch 12 volt battery powered one I've had for years. Basically wore it out. Had it repaired, they claimed to have replaced the motor, but I have my doubts. Seems under powered from what I remember of its former self. I also have a Bosch corded one. It's a beast compared to the others. Tool less blade change while the others require an allen wrench.

The third one was the Harbor Freight version I used about a week ago. Corded and requires the allen wrench to change the blade. Not as powerful as the corded Bosch and noisy, but it got the little job done. I can't attest to longevity because I took it out of the box and used it five minutes total.

I used my Bosch Corded one on a job recently and finally realized the blades are not fully interchangeable, even with the battery version of the Bosch. I have an adapter plate for that one and it will use almost anybody's blades. The tool less Bosch will not.

This may be important. The blades are outrageously expensive in my opinion. Harbor Freight blades may be a good deal, if they will fit your machine.

I tend to abuse the blades. I hit nails. Cutting drywall is quick and easy (like magic) but dulls the blades. I save old snaggle toothed blades for cutting drywall. I have used worn out blades for removing grout and finished them off. I have even tried to sharpen some of them, with little success.

This is a tool that once you buy it for one job, you will find ten other things to do with it. Consider the interchangeability of the blades carefully and as a big factor. I'm considering trying to chop a mortise with them.

(I recently had a chance to buy an entire pallet of Bosch blades at a freight auction. Thousands of them, new and in the packaging. A two lifetime supply. I bid them up to a $1,000 and then realized for that kind of money I can buy a three lifetime supply at my age. Still wish I had em, it would be fun to use them like disposables.)

Re: Features of multi-tools

#8

Re: Features of multi-tools

AZ in Colorado Springs

I received a Porter Cable multi tool as a gift. Don't use it often, but it's great when I need it. Tool free blade change is nice.

Oddly, Porter Cable blades don't fit it. Just when I was given the tool, I was at Wood Craft and Porter Cable multi tool blades were on clearance, so I got a couple. Then, I read through the instruction manual and it said I must use DeWalt blades.

Weird! I get those at Lowe's, a couple of miles from my house.

Re: Features of multi-tools

#9

Re: Features of multi-tools

James Runchey

Bought a Performax from Menards a while ago, could not keep the blade from loosening, finally used a lockwasher and that solved the problem. The unit just died and I replaced it with Harbor Freight tool. I haven't had occasion to use it yet, so I don't have any feedback. A very handy tool to have, and will solve many problems.

Re: Features of multi-tools

#10

maybe a used Fein!

Tom dunlap

I'm convinced!

There is a used Fein for sale on Offer Up. Not sure if it's real or a scam.

If it falls through the HF with a coupon comes to $30. Tempting!

Thanks for

All of the info

Re: Features of multi-tools

#11

Blades....

John in NM

Guess I got lucky buying the Rigid and finding the HF blades fit fine - like others, Rigid's market plan seems to be sell the tool at cost and make the money on the blades :D

One I got at HF has Japanese style saw teeth on it, works a lot better than the standard teeth on wood. Don't know how it will hold up on an oscillating tool, but it was something like $6 so I figured I'd try it.

Re: Features of multi-tools

#12

I bought a HF also,

Keith Newton

I use it a little more often than that, but agree about the noise and vibration, but it has been well worth the $20 price or whatever it was. I had built 4 small book shelf units to go into an office, formerly a Sunroom. The baseboards were about 8" tall of yellow pine, attached to plaster over solid rock walls, and captured along the bottom by 1/2" terra-cotta tile on a heavy masonry bed. I would have torn it up trying to get it all out, and didn't even like the thought of all the work of putting it back and repair. I was able to cut it right where the cabinets would just slide in. The time savings would have bought a good one, but "if it aint broke!!"

The blades are about as easy to sharpen as changing them if you have good eyes and a tiny slim-taper file. I don't worry about alternating the bevel like I would on a real handsaw, just straight across. Rather than trying to set the file in the next v by eye, I use my thumbnail to guide it in as I work across.

I've used PC and Makita I think, and sometime you can find them for less than $100 which is what I'm leaning toward for my next.

Don't just push it straight into the wood, but rather rock it back and forth to clear the chips.

Re: Features of multi-tools

#13

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: Features of multi-tools

Jack Guzman from Maine

All I can add is don't get a Craftsman. I recently bought one and there is too much play in the tool holder. The play uses up alot of the oscillations lowering the effectiveness of the tool. I shoulda bought a better model.---Jack

Re: Features of multi-tools

#14

I got the Fein

Tom dunlap

After work I finally met with the guy. The Fein came home

With me. Now I'm looking at blade combinations. I'll probably go to HF for the first

Batch

Re: Features of multi-tools

#15

Re: I got the Fein

John K Jordan

I've bought blades from Home Depot and Amazon.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.