WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

On the topic of matching furniture

Posts

On the topic of matching furniture

#1

On the topic of matching furniture

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

In a discussion of bookcase design it was suggested to come up with something that went with the rest of the furniture in the room. Is our household yet again on one of the tails of a statistical distribution of normal behavior?

We have furniture, and furniture styles, from different centuries and wood in every room. We have an early 18th century Windsor sitting under a Krenov style wall cabinet. It never crossed my mind that this situation might be unusual or look out of place. However, I recall from my childhood, relatives' living rooms done in matching blond birch furniture (Haywood Wakefield?). I suppose they bought it all at once or at least over a short time. It would seem more typical to accumulate stuff over decades from new purchases, inheritance, antique shops and so forth, gathered in an eclectic mix of memories, function and decoration. It never goes out of style. :)

Re: On the topic of matching furniture

#2

Re: On the topic of matching furniture

jesse cloud

I think your version is much more interesting and human.

If we are in the wee tail of the distribution, so be it!!

Re: On the topic of matching furniture

#3

Re: On the topic of matching furniture

Brian Holcombe

I like a bit of eclectic. Nothing too studied or bought out of a catalog.

Re: On the topic of matching furniture

#4

Ellis Walentine

Further to the point

Ellis Walentine

Our house is like yours, Bill, with my homemade furniture juxtaposed with hand-me-downs, antiques and every kind of oddball stuff. But that doesn't mean that anything and everything will look okay in this eclectic mix. I spent many years making furniture and interior woodwork for mostly well-heeled clients, at the behest of their architects and interior designers. In those highly-planned environments in particular, everything was calibrated to complement everything else in the room, or environment.

I make a distinction between furniture that is built into a room and furniture that is portable. Built-in furniture and architectural woodwork becomes part of the real estate, and, I believe, needs to be integrated visually and functionally with the rest of that specific interior. The kinds of one-off or custom furniture that many of us make are exempt from this requirement. This allows us considerably more latitude in our design, materials and cost considerations, not to mention the aesthetic decisions.

For a portable bookcase, you can make any style that suits you and your client.

Ain't design grand?

Ellis

Re: On the topic of matching furniture

#5

Clint Searl

Re: Further to the point

Clint Searl

The most boring rooms I've ever been in are those by F L Wright, where everything was of his design...and uncomfortable, to boot.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.